We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Selva Verde Lodge Trails

Dublin
Level Contributor
57 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Selva Verde Lodge Trails

Myself and my husband will be in Selva Verde Lodge for 2 nights next week. It is our first time in Costa Rica - I know there is an early morning tour, a 2 hour reserve hike and an evening tour at 7.00p.m,

Should we do all three ... they cost between $23 - $27 each.

Also .. if we do the evening tour at 7.00 p.m., do we dine before or after in the lodge ... will the restaurant still serve after the tour? I'm sure their web site has restaurant opening hours of course but I'm looking for best experiences and suggestions.

And ... will we need jackets at night if out on a tour ... will a hoodie suffice or something warmer?

Thank you all..

Marie

6 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,863 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Selva Verde Lodge Trails

I would book the morning tour and decide on the others once you are there. The tour guides were wonderful but you mught also want to hike the grounds on your own or take a trip on the river. We ate early before the night tour. No service issues as meals are served cafeteria style. The Italian restaurant on the lower level had the best food but was only open some evenings.

You won't need a hoodie for warmth but we used our rain ponchos as this is a rainforest area.

Edited: 30 March 2017, 14:43
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,187 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Selva Verde Lodge Trails

Early morning tour and evening tour are a good bookend approach and are sufficiently different. I'm sure they'll help you plan your meal if you go on the night tour, most likely you'd eat before.

Dublin
Level Contributor
57 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Selva Verde Lodge Trails

Thank you both for your help. I think we'll definitely do the morning and evening tour.. do I need to prebook or will it suffice to sort it when we arrive? Hadn't considered the river trip so I'll have a look at that

Marie

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,187 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Selva Verde Lodge Trails

I would prebook--there may be an issue with scheduling guides if no one is signed up, or there may be an issue of too many people signed up if you wait, etc.

Last I heard they have a pizzeria on site now that should offer non-cafeteria style food, but the lodge would be much better qualified to speak to that.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
7,628 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Selva Verde Lodge Trails

I agree - we really enjoyed the early morning tour for birding, and the nocturnal tour for night time critters. We also enjoyed hiking at nearby La Selva - saw lots of peccaries and toucans there. Saw quite a few howlers at Selva Verde. Saw a coral snake on one of our hikes so keep an eye out for those. We loved the outdoor Italian restaurant - they have a big fancy pizza oven - the pizza was very good. Good drinks as well. It was pretty hot and humid when we were there, did not need jackets. We like the rooms back by the river; some of the rooms at the front are close to the road.

Dublin
Level Contributor
57 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Selva Verde Lodge Trails

Thank you all - I emailed the lodge and reserved the early morning and night time tours. Looking forward to it all...

Marie

Reply to: Selva Verde Lodge Trails
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted