We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation advice

Fall City...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
transportation advice

Upcoming trip in mid-Feb: My family is staying 1 night in Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui before heading to La Finca Lodge in Platanar, which will be our home for three nights. After our overnight in PVdS, we plan to grab a tax over to La Selva OTS for the 8am guided tour, then taxi back to pick up our luggage afterward. This is a short distance so should be fine.

My concern is how best to get from Sarapiqui over to La Finca Lodge. It looks like 1+ hour drive and that could get expensive in a taxi. Should I ask the hotel to recommend a driver? All advice greatly appreciated.

8 replies to this topic
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,992 posts
42 reviews
1. Re: transportation advice

You can ask the hotel...most of the time hotel transfer are more expensive since they like to make some money...and then you can ask around for a taxi ride...I think it can be cheaper for you a taxi...try to deal with a red official taxis...avoid some pirates with good English mot of them not even legal to drive tourist around our country.

roadadvisor

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,958 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: transportation advice

Agree with roadadvisor. Make sure you book advance reservations at La Selva. You can’t just call the day before or show up at the gate as they have limited space.

Fall City...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: transportation advice

Thank you. I will do that. Any idea what I should expect the taxi ride to cost?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,992 posts
42 reviews
4. Re: transportation advice

Can of hard to even guess how much that will be,,,the best...ask a coulple guys then you can have some idea how much is the correct fare...OK to ask for a good deal.

By the way you are more than WELC OME

roadadvisor

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,425 posts
149 reviews
5. Re: transportation advice

Advice above is very good--should book everything in advance as tours may not run on all days, space may not be available, and same deal with drivers as there's not regular taxi service there--you have to arrange transport by phone or via the lodge.

Fall City...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: transportation advice

Thanks for all the advice. I am now strongly considering renting a car in San Jose and returning it in LaFortuna. We hadnt planned to do our own driving but my accommodations are off the beaten path and the taxi fares are going to cost me way too much. ($100-$200 per day)

Planning to return the car before we head to monteverde as that leg sounds very difficult and I don't want the stress.

Is the road fron alajuela to sarapiqui, going past la paz waterfall, a difficult one?

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,425 posts
149 reviews
7. Re: transportation advice

It's paved so that's a relief, but I'd avoid a manual transmission driving it as there'll be a lot of ups and downs. Also, you can probably expect rain and/or fog so sloooooowwwww down when that happens--curvy, narrow roads with steep drop-offs are not the place to be in a hurry with limited visibility. And make sure you know where the headlight controls are and how to turn on high beam.

Our experience was that the fog doesn't necessarily last that long, but when you're driving up and through mountains it's something you should prepare for especially if you're driving in the middle of the day.

Edited: 23 January 2018, 14:37
Fall City...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: transportation advice

Good advice. Thanks to everyone who replied.

Reply to: transportation advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted