We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 days in San Jose and one more area

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Topic
9 days in San Jose and one more area

Hi,

I need some help for my X'mas trip to Costa Rica (9D/8N)

My friend invited me to San Jose for the week before X' Mas in her vacation rental. I would like to use SJ as a base and visiting surrounding area as day trips but also want to go futher, such as Arenal for three or four days. Would you please suggest some places in SJ area for my 5 days there?

For the rest of the fours days (3 nights), should I only stay in Arenal or I have enough time to Maunel Antonio or Monteverde? I may be able to add one more night if necessary.

My flight leaving SJ at 5:00pm, so I do not need to stay in SJ the night before. Thanks in advance.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 days in San Jose and one more area

Only 3 night good for one location, I would spend less time in San Jose if you can.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,185 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 days in San Jose and one more area

I agree with Cubanon. You can take organized daytrips from San Jose but the cost will add up rapidly. Recommend whitewater rafting on the Pacuare, an all day outing with Rios Tropicales ($99). Also consider a combo trip to Poas and Doka coffee estate or a trip to the top of Irazu volcano.

La Paz, Bolivia
Level Contributor
12 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 days in San Jose and one more area

See this, I hope you like the idea:

Day One Arrival night in San Jose

Day Two Poas Volcano Combo with Sarapiqui Jungle River Cruise-San Jose for the night.

Day Three Full Day White Water Rafting-San Jose for the night

Day Four manuel Antonio National Park and Beach-Manuel Antonio for the night

Day Five Manuel Antonio for leisure-Manuel Antonio for the night.

Day Six Arenal Volcano-Hot Springs-Arenal for the night.

Day Seven-Trip to Monteverde by boat or horseback riding-Monte Verde for the night

Day Eight- Monteverde Reserve am, Canopy Tour pm or Canopy Tour am, and Reserve at night-Monteverde for the night

Day Nine Trip to Alajuela to the International Airport.

Car rental strongly reccommended.

keep asking, we love assiting tourists.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 days in San Jose and one more area

PP not really realistic and relaxing due to travel times between locations.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 days in San Jose and one more area

Is that make sense to go to Monteverde from San Jose for 2 nights, then Arenal for the last two nights before catching the afternoon flight home?

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 days in San Jose and one more area

I think thats better, the trip from San Jose to Monteverde is long, you need at least two days there.

Keego Harbor...
Level Contributor
83 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 9 days in San Jose and one more area

I thought I would share my itinerary and maybe it would help you...

Day 1 arrive and spend in San Jose

Day 2 am transfer to Arenal...hike Arenal in the pm and dinner and hot springs combo

Day 3 white water rafting

Day 4. Horseback ride transfer to Monteverde

Day 5. Experience cloud forest

Day 6 transfer to Manuel antonio

Day 7 relax in Manuel antonio get some beach time.

Day 8 transfer to San Jose... Experience San Jose

Day 9 fly home.

Ithaca, New York
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 9 days in San Jose and one more area

I lot of people have an unfavorable view of San Jose as a tourist destination. I admit that the downtown does not show much architectural splendor compared to some other Latin American capital cities. But San Jose does have energy. Our bus to Monteverde was full, so we spent the morning (from 6am to about 2pm) walking the city and eating fresh fruit and local cuisine in the main food markets. I highly recommend checking these out. Delicious tropical smoothies for cheap, casados, fish, ceviche, etc. You will meet and chat with local characters. If you have time in San Jose, try to experience the city on its own terms and recognize that there are many interesting experiences to be had there.

I made a video from this morning stroll through San Jose. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdiqbIgKaSQ

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,244 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 9 days in San Jose and one more area

San Jose is not that bad at all ...but as any 2,000.000 people town...you will find things that you may do not like itdo not spend to many nights in San Jose and spend more in Monteverde and or Arenal...

roadadvisor

Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 9 days in San Jose and one more area

In my humble opinion, do not miss out on la fortuna. The cascading hot springs are out of this world.