We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Tahiti

Westfield, New York
Level Contributor
621 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Tahiti

We are staying at the IC in Moorea for 5 days in May, but are thinking of taking the ferry over to Tahiti just for a day trip. We're considering driving around the island, but are a little concerned about the traffic we hear so much about! Would it be really hard to navigate our way thru Papeete if we rent a car? We'd like to go to the museums, and see the waterfalls, etc. along the way. Or would you advise just using a tour guide for a round-the-island day trip? If so, how can we book that? Can you do that at the ferry dock in Papeete, especially at the last minute? Which way do you think would be the easiest, and best way to see this island. It will be our only chance to see a bit of Tahiti, as we go on to Bora Bora for a couple days after Moorea.

So, just in case we do feel like tearing ourselves away from Moorea ...... any suggestions??

Thanks in advance, for all the expert advice on this forum!

Seattle
Level Contributor
369 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Tahiti

We used Marama tours for the round the island tour on Tahiti. They picked us up at our hotel, but I'm sure you could arrange for them to pick you up at the ferry dock. As for driving in Papeete, I personally wouldn't want to do it. Not only was there a lot of traffic, but the signs and roads were very confusing. I was happy to have someone who knew where they were going doing the driving. Once out of Papeete, it would probably be pretty easy to find the waterfalls, blow hole, Gauguin museum, etc. Guess it depends on how comfortable you are driving. For comparison, I've driven in lots of big cities, including LA, London, Chicago, Dallas and it didn't bother me at all. But I rank Papeete in the same category as Paris and Naples....no way would you find me behind the wheel in those cities!

http://www.maramatours.com/contact.html

Westfield, New York
Level Contributor
621 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Tahiti

Wow..... thanks. That does it then! That's just what i needed to hear to make my decision. I'll check out that website --- thanks so much for the tip!

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Tahiti

We did rent a car the last time we were in Tahiti and it was as stated above till we got out of the city limits a bit confusing. Once we were out of the City limits it was no problem. I would still second the marama tour of the city. The guides are so knowlegable that it makes it worthwhile the cost.

I have done the Marama Tours twice before so venturing out on our own was a different experience we were after.

Regards Bo

Westfield, New York
Level Contributor
621 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Tahiti

yes, we usually prefer to venture out on our own, as opposed to group tours. We really like to go at our own pace, instead of being shuffled along. But in this case, I'm thinking we might need to go with the tour, even though i much prefer going on our own. Plus, it's our first trip to Tahiti, so rather be safe than sorry. Thanks!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Tahiti

Hi there,

While I also like doing things at my own pace, on Tahiti, I took the Marama circle island tour and enjoyed it very much. I was able to look at all the sights and learned quite a bit about the island. In addition to the 'canned' speech, it was nice to be able to ask questions. I asked and learned about the health care and education system, former nuclear testing, and other subjects I would not have learned about. I didn't really feel that rushed -- I felt like I spent sufficient time at each of the stops.

On the other hand, I enjoyed renting a car on Moorea for 8 hours and poking around that island. It's smaller and more do-able than Tahiti....

6. Re: Day trip to Tahiti

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 03:29