We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferries - any difference?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
ferries - any difference?

Hi there,

I've been looking at the ferry transportation between Papeete and Moorea. Is there any significant difference between the Aremiti ferries and the Moorea ferries? From what I can see, both have the same fare, both have a slow and fast and both have about the same schedule. Any recommendations for one over the other? Would one be significantly closer to the Aranui dock?

And has the ferry that used to run from Papeete to Cooks Bay/Paopao now longer running? I saw reference on one website for the Ono Ono ferry but suspect it's out of business as I've seen nothing else about it.

Thanks

nancy

Washington
Destination Expert
for Papeete, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ferries - any difference?

The two ferries between Tahiti and Moorea are the same.

Both are A/C and have airplane type seating.

For a picture of the port of Papeete go to www.tahiti-ocean/port.html

The Aranui ties up over in the area named cargo dock. You will have to taxi from the ferry dock to the Aranui

The Ono Ono is no more.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ferries - any difference?

Thanks -- do they both have an outdoor deck/seating? I definitely want to be outdoors to see the sights and arrival on Moorea.

Also, what about my luggage? I've taken ferries to Isa Mujeres in Mexico and all luggage was handled by ferry staff and loaded into a baggage room - then offloaded upon arrival. Is that the same thing on these ferries?

Washington
Destination Expert
for Papeete, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ferries - any difference?

Both have outdoor seating up on the second deck. You put your luggage into a four wheeled cart that is put on the ferry and then offloaded on the Moorea side.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ferries - any difference?

Ia orana

I have taken both last week ( slow ferry to Moorea and fast Aremiti 5 ferry back. Same fare, same open deck.

Personnal preference for the Aremiti. They have been in business the longuest and offer a newer fleet than the Moorea Express)

meherio

5. Re: ferries - any difference?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 18:17