We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vodafone network

Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
Vodafone network

Is the Vodafone network back up and running after the fire? Can I simply roam with my current sim or do you have to buy a visitor sim. I just want data. Any help appreciated :)

4 replies to this topic
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
16,025 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vodafone network

Kia Orana Catherine, welcome to the Cook Islands forum.

We don't Vodafone in the Cook Islands, but you can roam on your existing SIM card but which is an expensive option. The Cook Islands has Bluesky, and you can purchase data by going into the Bluesky office at the airport, which is open for all international flights. Or go into one of the Bluesky sales offices to find out what is your best option.

The Bluesky core station at Aroa was fully restored mid December 2017.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vodafone network

Hi :) I have just returned from Rarotonga and our Vodafone phone didnt get service for anything. No phone service and no internet. I believe the only way to use data is to buy a Bluesky Sim when you arrive :)

Gore, New Zealand
Level Contributor
11 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vodafone network

Roaming charges are eye watering. Use an unlocked phone for a blue sky sim and you are good to go. Blue sky will check that the sim works when you get the card. Enjoy

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
283 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vodafone network

As per the Vodafone website,...

"Due to a fire in the Cook Islands, international roaming is currently unavailable there. Local vendor teams are working to restore services as soon as possible. We recommend you contact your resort to find out what local services are available."

Reply to: Vodafone network
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rarotonga
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor