We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

February weather

Level Contributor
32 posts
23 reviews
February weather

Hi all,

We're visiting rarotonga for 10 days from 6th Feb and I've seen the weather has been quite bad recently and starting to get really anxious our honeymoon will be a complete washout!! Does the weather normally start to calm down and the rain ease off by February? Or if there is rain us it like the Caribbean with an isolated shower? Thanks all!

23 replies to this topic
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
256 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: February weather

I hope this helps: www.holiday-weather.com/rarotonga/averages/

Level Contributor
32 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: February weather

Thank you, I've read and seen so many things about it. Oh well I guess we will have to wait and see and maybe save the snorkeling for the rain if we get any

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
18,416 posts
130 reviews
3. Re: February weather

Kia Orana emzle, welcome to the Cook Islands forum.

Unfortunately the outlook isn't good for Rarotonga weather over the next 2 weeks. This storm which arose about lunchtime on Friday just continues to hang around us. Each time I look east to a clearing horizon, I see dark clouds and showers rolling in over the mountains.

Whereabouts are you staying on the island? If it's a western location you may have some sunny interludes in between showers. And snorkelling can be better in the rain because fish are curious by the rain drops and come to the surface for a look.

All the very best for your honeymoon visit. I wish I could be the bearer of brighter news. At least there are some nice indoor venues for dining, and the lagoon cruises will still go out inspite of showery weather, and light breeze.

Kia manuia.

Level Contributor
32 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: February weather

Hello thank you, we are staying at the sanctuary Rarotonga on the beach. We've still got a few weeks yet until we get there, here's hoping :-/

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,544 posts
304 reviews
5. Re: February weather

Hi emzle

I certainly hope the weather clears for your honeymoon. But it is cyclone season in the tropics so the weather is very unpredictable. You might like to keep an eye on this site. Keep an eye on the cyclone warnings. None are expected at the moment and the Cooks are at lower than normal risk for this season so fingers crossed.

http://www.met.gov.fj/

If there is very heavy rain it may pay not to swim for a few days after such an event, particularly in the vicinity of stream outlets which can wash all sorts of rubbish into the lagoon from inland. Aroa beach, which is where the Rarotongan sits, is lovely for both swimming and snorkelling so I hope the conditions are favourable for you.

Have a wonderful honeymoon.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,416 posts
130 reviews
6. Re: February weather

The weather is clearing currently. Yesterday the forecast looked ominous, but like all forecasts they change invariably and it's been sunny with clear skies for the past 4 hours. Fingers crossed for you!.

As said the Sanctuary sits in a wonderful lagoon location. Especially good swimming, snorkelling, kayaking and SUP in this locality.

Level Contributor
32 posts
23 reviews
7. Re: February weather

Hello all, thank you again. I have been trying to keep up with it all but I'm not very good at some of the technical bits and pieces I had seen. Hopefully in a few weeks we will have some good weather, if not we'll be making full use of our spa in the hotel! Thanks again, I'm sure we'll still have a great time though!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,416 posts
130 reviews
8. Re: February weather

The Sanctuary has a beautiful swim-up pool, which I'm sure you'll make good use of as well. And yes, the Tiare spa will be another haven for you.

Level Contributor
32 posts
23 reviews
9. Re: February weather

How's the weather been looking for the next week or so? Has it settled down?

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,416 posts
130 reviews
10. Re: February weather

Last Tuesday the weather changed for the better. We've had a sunny week, and weekend, and only a few showers - Sunday morning when the LAX landed, but only a brief burst of rain, and overnight last night there were a few showers. Clear all day today. I've been over to the lagoon and the water temps are as warm as a bath.

I see that you arrive on Waitangi Day. This is NZ's national celebration for the birth-place of the nation. There is a Kiwi ceremony here on Raro, but none of the shops, banks or businesses will be closed that day. Unlike NZ which is a public holiday there.

Reply to: February weather
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted