We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel or resort safe for single lady

France
Level Contributor
325 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel or resort safe for single lady

Hi, having read that there have been numerous burglaries in the Cook Islands, im’wondering If there are any tips/ advice on finding a safe haven for a single lady, who has already been robbed once in the last Year ? I realise that there are no guarantees, but from reading intensively I’ve gathered that lots of accommodation have no sturdy locks, no safes , and no security. Not wanting to take a chance , I would therefore hope for a room where I felt secure. Obviously, such places are not openly advertised ! So what to do ? This is a dream teip’for me. I will also be going to French Polynesia and will be careful there too. Any info welcome and I apologise if I have hurt anyone’s feelings.

3 replies to this topic
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
17,658 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel or resort safe for single lady

Kia Orana Juanaise,

Accommodation with poor locks, lack of room safe, and no onsite security are places at the lower end of the accommodation scale. Properties of higher quality offer good facilities including those that maintain guests safety. Crime on Rarotonga is mostly opportunistic. Properties that have been burgled in the past have taken steps to improve security and guests safety; because they have needed to. It won't stop crime entirely but will act as a deterrant.

If you are concerned about safer places to stay, resorts that employ 24/7 security people are a better option than staying in a stand-alone private holiday home. Resorts that have double stories, like the Edgewater, Sunset Resort, Pacific Resort, Muri Beach-Club Hotel, Rarotongan Beach Resort, or Moana Sands hotel would also be a better options than a ground floor room with multi-access. Although Moana Sands have provided security mesh doors on all their ground floor rooms.

Stay at a property that has onsite management or owners accommodation attached. Offices have hotel safes, if these are not provided in individual rooms. It also helps to know that people are available should you need to call on staff. Having staff around in the daytime makes for a friendlier environment so you can relax and enjoy your stay. They also keep their eyes and ears open to what is happening onsite and next door too.

I hope that the incidents you are reading about won't put you off Rarotonga. If you are looking for a safer option, Aitutaki will give you a more relaxing holiday compared to the busyness and more populated island of Rarotonga.

Kia manuia.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel or resort safe for single lady

I would also say Sunset Resort or Muri Beach Club Hotel. I stayed in both by myself for a lot of the time (my husband was working all day and late into the night). I felt very safe at both locations.

auckland
Level Contributor
85 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel or resort safe for single lady

I always travel alone to Rarotonga and have never had a problem. Most of holiday rentals I have stayed in have had a safe. Usually take a travel card and don’t have lots of cash. No valuables and travel insurance.

I have never been afraid but then I have lived in places where robberies are common.

Just use common sense.

Most people will not be robbed.

Recommend Vaka holiday rental next door to Vaima Restaurant.

Reply to: Hotel or resort safe for single lady
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rarotonga
Recent Conversations