We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips to other islands

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Day trips to other islands

Hello, We have already booked our accommodations on Rarotonga and Aitutaki but wondered if it's possible to visit another island as a day trip from Rarotonga returning the same day? If so, your recommendation of the island. We will be in Rarotonga 7 days and Aitutaki 5 days.

2nd question - I read that American Express is not accepted. Has this changed? I'm referring to those restaurants / resorts that accept other credit cards. Thank you!

3 replies to this topic
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
17,950 posts
130 reviews
1. Re: Day trips to other islands

Kia Orana Murphyandmaddie, welcome to the Cook Islands forum.

Mangaia day-trips ceased some years back. The only other option would be to reduce your 7 nights on Rarotonga to a 5 night stay, if this works in with the flight schedule to Atiu island, and on to Aitutaki.

Contact Air Rarotonga to enquire what days and times they fly from Raro to Atiu, and from Atiu to Aitutaki (or the reverse). Atiu is a wonderful island with its cave riddled coral interior, native birdlife and rich history.

American Express was reintroduced in 2016, by BSP bank (Bank of South Pacific). I dont know how extensively this card is currently used. Either contact the BSP in Avarua, or bring another widely used credit card as a back-up.

www.bsp.co.ck/Contact-Us/Contact-Us.aspx

Kia manuia.

Edited: 12 February 2018, 16:57
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Day trips to other islands

Thank you so much for the quick reply.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,495 posts
295 reviews
3. Re: Day trips to other islands

Hi murphyandmaddie

I wouldn't depend on your AMEX card be widely accepted. In the days before its use was withdrawn for a while I found that it was pretty much useless there.

Some of the larger resorts used to accept it for booking accommodation and this may be the case again now - I don't know.

But shops and restaurants readily accepted both Visa and Mastercard - and still do. As you probably know, AMEX charges to merchants are higher than those for other cards so many places avoid them, including in NZ and Australia (and some places impose a surcharge for AMEX use, although surcharges are illegal in the Cooks).

I'd strongly advise having either a Visa or Mastercard as well as your AMEX and then you won't have any problems.

Reply to: Day trips to other islands
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted