We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegetarian food

Auckland Central...
4 posts
Vegetarian food

Kia orana everyone,

Can someone recommend a restaurant that has a good selection of vegetarian dishes? Any location is fine.

Thanks

4 replies to this topic
Lake Macquarie...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
151 reviews
1. Re: Vegetarian food

Hi debbie, Many restaurants in Rarotonga have limited vegetarian options on their menus.

The Tea House Vegetarian Eatery in Titikaveka is the only dedicated vegetarian restaurant that I know of on the island but it's only open for lunch.

The New Place in Avarua has a number of vegetarian selections on their menu as does Cafe Salsa.

For dinner I would recommend a visit Tamarind House, although not a dedicated vegetarian restaurant they do have several vegetarian options to choose from. Tamarind House is an excellent restaurant in a lovely setting. I don't know when you are visiting Raro, but it will be closed from 1st March to 17 April.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
18,385 posts
130 reviews
2. Re: Vegetarian food

All cafes have some vegetarian dishes on their menu. The Tea House is vegetarian only, and their food is beautiful.

Le Rendezvous serves both vegetarian and vegan dishes, and they are located opposite the Islander hotel.

Tamarind House serves a wonderful vegetable lasagna, for lunch and dinner. Their corn fritters are delicious.

LBV in Muri has a range of muffins and salads, and they are open for breakfast and lunch.

Another cafe I enjoy going to is Tuoro in Black Rock. Again this is a day-time cafe, and they have very good food. Wonderful location looking out to sea. Bookings are essential.

If you are planning to prepare some meals at home, Wigmore's in Vaimaanga, CITC supermarkets and Prime Foods in Avarua all stock fresh fruit and vegetables. The Saturday and Wednesday markets at Punanga Nui in town have a great range of locally raised produce.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
18,385 posts
130 reviews
3. Re: Vegetarian food

I didn't mention pizzas in my post above. A number of restaurants and cafes make vegetarian pizzas. I've found the nicest and most consistent pizzas are made at Kai Pizza cafe in Avarua, opposite the market entrance. It's a small place that makes wood fired pizzas - including a very good Vegetarian one. Takeaway and sit down meals available.

Lake Macquarie...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
151 reviews
4. Re: Vegetarian food

I too, forgot to mention vegetarian pizzas.

Can't beat the vegetarian pizza at Trader Jacks.

Reply to: Vegetarian food
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted