We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food and Alcohol into Rarotonga over the Xmas Period

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Food and Alcohol into Rarotonga over the Xmas Period

My partner and I are arriving in Rarotonga early Christmas day. I understand that most shops will be closed over Christmas and Boxing Day and are wondering whether any restaurants will be be open over this time?

Also what types of foods are we able to bring in so we don't go hungry over this period? I know that we can bring vacuum pack meats etc but what about cheese and other products?

I have also been trying to find out what the alcohol limit for duty free being brought into Rarotonga is but can't find it anywhere. If anyone can help me out it will be greatly appreciated :)

Many thanks

Arorangi
Level Contributor
556 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food and Alcohol into Rarotonga over the Xmas Period

Kia Orana

Can you give us a clue as to where your staying? Is it a resort or private rental?

Who were you booking through - could they not arrange for a parcel of food products to see you over the one day that stores are closed....

I am sure you would have known that all restaurants (other than those that are in resorts) would be closed on Christmas Day and a good deal of them will be closed on Boxing Day (thus avoiding paying penal rates).

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
Level Contributor
884 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food and Alcohol into Rarotonga over the Xmas Period

Here you go.

http://www.traveldocs.com/ck/customs.htm

All the restaurants attached to hotels will be open. There is a 24/7 shop that will be open both days so you will be able to pick up essentials.

Cheers!!

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food and Alcohol into Rarotonga over the Xmas Period

Hi cass

Yes, you can certainly bring in cheeses, snacks etc. But keep a list so you can declare them to customs. Fresh fruit, vegetables and nuts are prohibited.

You might want to make sure you bring in your duty free allowances of wine, or beer or spirits in case everything is closed.

Coromandel
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food and Alcohol into Rarotonga over the Xmas Period

Duty free alcohol is 2 litres spirits when entering Rarotonga. Not sure about wine. You can take out 3 litres when you leave Rarotonga.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food and Alcohol into Rarotonga over the Xmas Period

The duty free allowance for Raro is actually 2 litres of spirits OR 2 litres of wine OR 4.5 litres of beer. And, of course, airport duty free shops are open for all flights.

If you're a wine drinker, buy your wine in NZ duty free stores. The choice in the Raro duty frees is not good and the prices are no cheaper than the local shops.

6. Re: Food and Alcohol into Rarotonga over the Xmas Period

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2011, 00:41
Get answers to your questions about Rarotonga
Recent Conversations