We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aitutaki day tour book in advance?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Aitutaki day tour book in advance?

Hi

We are looking to do the Aitutaki day tour in early january 2012, and would like to know thoughts about booking in advance or waiting until we arrive. We have 6 nights is Raro and it would be around 10th/11th january we would be looking at doing the trip.

Should we risk waiting until arriving? or could we get a better deal by waititng?

Also which companies are recommended other than the Airo Raro sight.

Many thanks for your help.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,576 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aitutaki day tour book in advance?

Hi jenvilla,

Air Rarotonga being the Cook Islands only domestic airline at present, are the only providers of the Aitutaki day-trip to/from Rarotonga. All the tourism websites for the Cook Islands will link back or refer to the Air Raro day-tour.

Currently the day tour costs $459.00 per person, including transfers to/from your Rarotonga accommodation, and airport transfers to/from the cruise boat on Aitutaki . The lagoon cruise is taken aboard the catamaran Titi Ai Tonga (co-owned by Air Raro) which departs from Ootu point on Aitutaki. Vessel cruises to Akaiami, Rapota then to One Foot motu via a snorkelling stop in the nearby marine reserve. Lunch aboard. Also includes a brief land-tour of Aitutaki before boarding the vessel around 10:00am. Return flight departs Aitutaki at 4:40pm.

Booking now or waiting til arrival? Tours are weather dependent. If there is a good reason for the cruise not to proceed on the day, passengers are offered the following day departure - weather permitting. I'm not familiar with the T&C for cancellations/refunds. Knowing that January is not like July (winter being peak season) you are wiser to wait until your arrival on Raro then see what you think at that time.

Can you better the tour cost? I'm fairly sure that in January 2011 there were discounted day-tour offers available in town. Have you already booked your accomm to stay on Raro the entire visit or would you consider spending a couple of nights on Aitutaki to coincide with your lagoon cruise? The cheapest 2 night stay on Aitutaki is advertised at $479.00 p.p. Lagoon cruises around $85.00 p.p.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aitutaki day tour book in advance?

We waited until we were on Raro to book our Aitutaki trip. There was a typhoon blowing through when we were there, so we just waited until it was over, then headed to the Air Raro office to book...I think it was like 2 days out.

Puyallup, Washington
Level Contributor
41 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aitutaki day tour book in advance?

Personally, knowing what I know now, I'd skip Aitutaki.

For the high cost of just a day trip, and a cyclone damaged lagoon, there is better snorkeling elsewhere.

We were very disappointed.

Puyallup, Washington
Level Contributor
41 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aitutaki day tour book in advance?

tripadvisor.com/…35547114

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aitutaki day tour book in advance?

We thought the day going to Aitutaki, even w/o the snorkeling was magnificient.

The views, colors, feeling of being so far away were all wonderful.

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aitutaki day tour book in advance?

Firstly, the Aitutaki lagoon is NOT storm damaged. It still has some of the best snorkeling in the Cook Islands. Don't let one disgruntled posting put you off.

I have talked with hundreds of tourists who have visited Aitutaki and many wish they had spent more time there. If you can at all arrange it, I agree with Frangipani. Try to spend a couple of days there. There are some nice package deals.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aitutaki day tour book in advance?

Thanks for you opinions, looking at Air Rarotonga video, Aitutaki looks beautiful and we will certainly try and do the day trip when we get there, unfortunately we don't have time to do a couple of nights stay, as our RTWF is already booked.

We are really looking forward to the Cook Islands!

8. Re: Aitutaki day tour book in advance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2012, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Rarotonga
Recent Conversations