We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2010 Tide Chart

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,220 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
2010 Tide Chart

This is a better tide chart, color coded and everything. Especially good for those thinking about clamming this summer:

http://www.mgfalaska.com/tides.html .

Von

Milwaukeee...
Level Contributor
142 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2010 Tide Chart

Is there an easy to read Tide Chart for around Beluga Point if we wanted to try and time our visit to Beluga Point to see a tide bore?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,220 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2010 Tide Chart

I don't know. Did you try an internet search? That's how I've found the tide charts I've posted.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2010 Tide Chart

Here is the best site I've ever found for explaining bore tides in an easy-to-understand way:

nps.gov/anch/…boreTides2008.pdf

Note that the tide chart is from 2008, thus of no use this year. You can use this one: alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/References/Tides/an… , or google another tide chart for this year and work from that.

BTW, even if the charts are in your favor, that is no guarantee you'll see a bore. Last year I was at Beluga Pt. during a -3 tide, but the wind was blowing the other direction and we saw NOTHING. Apparently the day before, the bore had been over 2 feet high....

Edited: 10 April 2010, 09:18
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2010 Tide Chart

They also give away tide chart booklets for Alaska locations at the fishing license counter of Freddie's & other fishing stores. We get one for our travels every summer to keep in the vehicle.

Keep your eye out on the Turnagain just south of Anchorage for surfers & other groups of bore tide chasers. My husband on occasion takes me bore tide chasing & there were always a number of others. We have pulled over when we saw the crowd & caught the bore that way.

Bird Pt. has had a display of the bore tide times & info.

Edited: 10 April 2010, 11:59
Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
277 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2010 Tide Chart

I picked up a free tide chart booklet from Alaska Diving and Mining in Anchorage while up there in December. I wonder if you can find it at tourist information places throughout AK? It gives several locations throughout the state.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
277 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2010 Tide Chart

According to the 2010 AMDS tide tables booklet August 11, 2010 is the strongest bore tide at Beluga Point at 6:08 P.M. 7:08 P.M. at Bird Point.

7. Re: 2010 Tide Chart

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2010, 00:18