We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2010 Tide Chart

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,228 posts
45 reviews
2010 Tide Chart

This is a better tide chart, color coded and everything. Especially good for those thinking about clamming this summer:

http://www.mgfalaska.com/tides.html .

Von

Milwaukeee...
Level Contributor
146 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: 2010 Tide Chart

Is there an easy to read Tide Chart for around Beluga Point if we wanted to try and time our visit to Beluga Point to see a tide bore?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,228 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: 2010 Tide Chart

I don't know. Did you try an internet search? That's how I've found the tide charts I've posted.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
3. Re: 2010 Tide Chart

Here is the best site I've ever found for explaining bore tides in an easy-to-understand way:

nps.gov/anch/…boreTides2008.pdf

Note that the tide chart is from 2008, thus of no use this year. You can use this one: alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/References/Tides/an… , or google another tide chart for this year and work from that.

BTW, even if the charts are in your favor, that is no guarantee you'll see a bore. Last year I was at Beluga Pt. during a -3 tide, but the wind was blowing the other direction and we saw NOTHING. Apparently the day before, the bore had been over 2 feet high....

Edited: 10 April 2010, 09:18
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
4. Re: 2010 Tide Chart

They also give away tide chart booklets for Alaska locations at the fishing license counter of Freddie's & other fishing stores. We get one for our travels every summer to keep in the vehicle.

Keep your eye out on the Turnagain just south of Anchorage for surfers & other groups of bore tide chasers. My husband on occasion takes me bore tide chasing & there were always a number of others. We have pulled over when we saw the crowd & caught the bore that way.

Bird Pt. has had a display of the bore tide times & info.

Edited: 10 April 2010, 11:59
Gillett, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
277 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: 2010 Tide Chart

I picked up a free tide chart booklet from Alaska Diving and Mining in Anchorage while up there in December. I wonder if you can find it at tourist information places throughout AK? It gives several locations throughout the state.

Gillett, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
277 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: 2010 Tide Chart

According to the 2010 AMDS tide tables booklet August 11, 2010 is the strongest bore tide at Beluga Point at 6:08 P.M. 7:08 P.M. at Bird Point.

7. Re: 2010 Tide Chart

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2010, 00:18