We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly Fishing on the Kenai

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Fly Fishing on the Kenai

We are renting an RV and will be out on the Kenai the first 2 weeks of July. I've done a lot of research in the Milepost and realize there is are a ton of places to fish with very easy access. I plan on getting a guide for a day, maybe around Cooper Landing, but would like to do a lot of fishing on my own so I'm looking for a little guidance on what locations are best but more important, what flies, line type, lead weight, etc. I should use. I have a 9ft 9wt rod and a 4-5wt. I'm hearing Kings will be running then - I hear the 9wt is best for them, the 4-5 for trout.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,777 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Fly Fishing on the Kenai

I am not an expert at fishing, especially fly, but my dad is and fishes in New England constantly. When he is in Alaska he usually stops in the local tackle shop or even Walmart to get the locals' advice. If you go with a guide first they will fill you in on what you need and it can all be found in any tackle shop or Fred Meyer in Soldotna. I am sure someone else with more experience will chime in but I have also found most of the fisherman are friendly and will help you out.

Texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
2. Re: Fly Fishing on the Kenai

I am sure you will get better answers by posting your questions to the Fishing section of Alaska Outdoor Forum. Most folks there are local fishermen and they offer great advices.

Here is the link - …outdoorsdirectory.com/forumdisplay.php…

3. Re: Fly Fishing on the Kenai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2010, 02:46