We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Russian River parking-campground

Dania Florida
Level Contributor
127 posts
7 reviews
Russian River parking-campground

I checked and all the Russian River campsites are booked during our dates on the Kenai Peninsula (June 13-20). Will there be a place where we can park the RV and walk to see the men and women salmon fishing? Is there another campground close where we might try to get a reservation? This is a last minute trip and panic is setting in. I have been reading TA for two years about Alaska and now it is going to happen. I cannot believe it.

Thanks to all the wonderful folks who are so helpful. Your suggestions have helped so many have wonderful Alaskan experiences and I know that ours will be terrific due to your help.

Please stop some of the rain if I may request that. I keep checking The Weather Channel for the Kenai Peninsula there are not many sunny faces. I plan to enjoy it anyway.

Marilyn

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
1. Re: Russian River parking-campground

That's the most popular time of the summer- the beginning of the 1st red salmon run.

Russian RIver CG has 2 fishing-access parking lots within the campground. They also have an overflow camping lot at the entrance. At noon each day they have lottery for the campsites they keep open for walk-ins.

Quartz Creek CG & Cooper Creek CG are in the area. You might check on availability there.

There is also the Russian River Ferry where you can watch fishing & RV overnight. It's a glorified parking lot turned into fish camp- an authentic alaskan experience!

Here's area campgrounds & location of the ferry.

campgrounds-alaska.com/sterling-highway.php

Edited: 01 June 2010, 15:15
Dania Florida
Level Contributor
127 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Russian River parking-campground

Denalicat, thanks for your quick reply. That is exactly what I am wanting to experience...the real Alaska. I would love to try my luck at fishing but know that since I haven't fished since I was in high school that I would just be in the way of the REAL fisher humans. Maybe I will just try to find someone to sell me a fish already filleted and have that for dinner. I plan to have fish every day while there for 12 days. My fear is that the salmon and halibut that is shipped to FL won't be as inviting once I have eaten your fresh fish.

Do you think that I will be able to make it to Cooper Creek from Anchorage leaving Anchorage around 3 pm in time to stay there or should I stop at Williwaw the first night and go to Cooper Creek the next night?

Marilyn

Dania Florida
Level Contributor
127 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Russian River parking-campground

I am reposting this question before I make my campground reservation. Maybe someone will know the answer.

Do you think that I will be able to make it to Cooper Creek from Anchorage leaving Anchorage around 3 pm in time to stay there or should I stop at Williwaw the first night and go to Cooper Creek the next night?

Thanks in advance,

Marilyn

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
4. Re: Russian River parking-campground

It's about 100 miles & takes us about 2 hours to get from Anchorage to Cooper Landing.

However, Williwaw CG is delightful, right by Portage Glacier.

Dania Florida
Level Contributor
127 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Russian River parking-campground

Denalicat,

Again, thanks a bundle for the info. We booked Williwaw the first night just to make it easier. Also, I read the fishing site and the run has been the worst in many years. That will give us an extra day for the fish to appear I hope. I am excited to see the fishing event in person and hope to get some good photojournalism shots while there.

Ten days and counting down to leave DTW for ANC.

Look out Alaska for these old folks descending upon you. We will leave no trace.

Marilyn

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
6. Re: Russian River parking-campground

Can you please give a link to the site where you are getting the fishing run information & run location? Thanks!

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,515 posts
50 reviews
7. Re: Russian River parking-campground

…state.ak.us/Fishcounts/…main.displayResults Right now I'm getting an error on the website but recieved this count via email.

2010 - 675 early run Kenai River king salmon, cumulative by May 30.

2009 - 1759 early run Kenai River king salmon, cumulative by May 31.

2008 - 2590 early run Kenai River king salmon, cumulative by May 31.

2007 - 1204 early run Kenai River king salmon, cumulative by May 31.

2006 - 2048 early run Kenai River king salmon, cumulative by May 31.

2005 - 1624 early run Kenai River king salmon, cumulative by May 31.

2004 - 2288 early run Kenai River king salmon, cumulative by May 31.

2003 - 2630 early run Kenai River king salmon, cumulative by May 31.

2002 - 895 early run Kenai River king salmon, cumulative by May 31.

2001 - 3133 early run Kenai River king salmon, cumulative by May 31.

2000 - 1862 early run Kenai River king salmon, cumulative by May 31.

1999 - 3422 early run Kenai River king salmon, cumulative by May 31.

1998 - 1052 early run Kenai River king salmon, cumulative by May 31.

1997 - 3081 early run Kenai River king salmon, cumulative by May 31.

1996 - 3387 early run Kenai River king salmon, cumulative by May 31.

1995 - 3499 early run Kenai River king salmon, cumulative by May 31.

1994 - 4481 early run Kenai River king salmon, cumulative by May 31.

1993 - 2979 early run Kenai River king salmon, cumulative by May 31.

1992 - 1368 early run Kenai River king salmon, cumulative by May 31.

1991 - 992 early run Kenai River king salmon, cumulative by May 31.

1990 - 1559 early run Kenai River king salmon, cumulative by May 31.

1989 - 3900 early run Kenai River king salmon, cumulative by May 31.

1988 - 5574 early run Kenai River king salmon, cumulative by May 31

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
8. Re: Russian River parking-campground

OK- thanks. This is the king run on the Kenai River. From Russian River CG or ferry you'll be watching the red salmon combat fishing on the Russian.

Dania Florida
Level Contributor
127 posts
7 reviews
9. Re: Russian River parking-campground

forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php…

…outdoorsdirectory.com/forumdisplay.php…

These two links are where I found the fishing info on the Kenai Peninsula and Kings. I don't know if this will help. They are quite discouraged at the number this year so far. One attributes it to a 22' tide keeping them out of the river. Others blame commercial and sport fishing for the diminishing numbers. Time will tell.

I hope that you can access these links. In order to access a link one posted I had to register.

Good luck and let me know if you were successful.

Best, Marilyn

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
10. Re: Russian River parking-campground

Sorry that I am not making myself clear. Your links & information are about king salmon fishing on the Kenai River. However, the combat fishing you wanted to watch is red salmon (also known as sockeye salmon) on the Russian RIver. Thus, 2 different types of salmon; 2 different runs.