We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

alaska highway

Ravenna, Ohio
3 posts
alaska highway

has anyone traveled theSlaska highway fromGrande Prarie, Alberta to Skagway Alaska? If so can you describe the current conditions of this trip? My wife and I are THINKING aboutdriving ther .We have a 2008 Impala with about 15000 miles on it so it is in good condition -and we would like to keep it that way. We have read conflicting advice about this route. Any experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Don

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
13,117 posts
233 reviews
1. Re: alaska highway

We (wife & I) drove the Alcan from Anchorage to Dawson Creek (& through Grande Prairie) as well as to Skagway from the Alcan (Jakes Corner I believe). The highways were paved all of the way. We did it in a front-wheel drive Honda CR-V (2003). The vehicle suffered no extraordinary wear & tear because of the road conditions.

Like most any highway, there can be potholes, rough spots & on-going construction that can change road quality. Below are a couple of links that mention/discuss highway quality for the routes you are considering.

I'd recommend "The Milepost" & stopping in northern BC at the Liard Hotsprings.

Good luck,

Scott

Alcan Hwy:

milepost.com/index.php…

Skagway route:

milepost.com/index.php…

Alberta
Level Contributor
175 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: alaska highway

We are in Fairbanks right now after having driven the Alaska highway the last week through Grande Prairie. Overall the road was good. The only section that was really bad was between destruction bay and the Alaska border, which is after Whitehorse. Luckily the road was not very busy so we used the entire road in parts to avoid the large potholes. They are well marked, but make sure you slow down. We are pulling a 30 ft travel trailer and have no damage to either the truck or trailer. Enjoy your trip and take your time. Don't forget to stop in Liard Hotsprings for a soak. It felt great.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,999 posts
89 reviews
3. Re: alaska highway

If you want to keep your car in condition it is right now then Alaska Highway is not the road you can avoid at least some minor and visible damage. Be prepared to get little dents, scratches, broken windshield. It is a fantastic trip if you are willing to accept some changes to your new shiny car. We are just starting our third road adventure along Alaska Highway and each time we get little scratches, missing paint, cracked windshield. Nothing major but if you have a new car and are conscious about its look then I wouldn't recommend this drive until your car gets a little older. I agree the most challenging section is from Kluane Lake to Tok but because you are not planning to drive this far and only to Skagway you would avoid the most challenging section. Still, be prepared for seeing some pebbles or small stones flying to your car. The most challenging conditions we found along road constructions. Frost heaves are very frequent from Destruction Bay. Last year we didn't get our windshield cracked on Alaska Highway or in Alaska but right outside Grand Prairie on the way back from another unforgettable trip to Alaska. Btw, Liard Springs is not enjoyable by everyone. It has such a strong smell of sulphur compounds that I found impossible to deal with. But many people seemed to be able to disregard foul smell and enjoyed this place. You need to decide. If you want recommendations on places to stay along Alaska Highway I can let you know my personal favorites and a couple of places to avoid.

Ravenna, Ohio
3 posts
4. Re: alaska highway

thank you so much

Ravenna, Ohio
3 posts
5. Re: alaska highway

We have been ambivillent as to this trip but have decided it is worth the risks. We would very much appreciate your input about accomobations.It will be just my wife and me , we are in our mid 60s, and not too adventerous in accomodations, but dont need anything fancy .

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
63 reviews
6. Re: alaska highway

I wouldn't let some of these responses scare you. Just plan your trip like any other and be aware of construction. We travelled north last summer with the ferry to Haines. The only major parts were in Canada and wasn't all that bad.

Then if you are really concerned you could take the ferry to Skagway from Bellingham if cost is not an object. Via road the Klondike Hwy the last we were there is fine

7. Re: alaska highway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2011, 00:16