We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this itinerary realistic?

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
362 posts
94 reviews
Is this itinerary realistic?

I'm posting this on both this site and Denali, to get input on both destinations. My husband and I are considering an Alaska trip in late June/early July. We are not tour types. Here's my plan. Will it work?

Day 1: arrive Anchorage early morning, get rental, groceries, then drive to Healy. See the entry area of Denali that afternoon and possibly take a short hike.

Day 2: Take the shuttle bus in Denali, getting off at several places.

Day 3: Either take the shuttle a second time, getting off at other stops, or take some short hikes in Denali State Park.

Day 4: Drive to Soldotna, using it as a base to see the Kenai Peninsula. (Is that realistic?)

Day 5 through 8: Take a fjord boat tour, fish, plane excursion (fish/bear watching), hike, explore peninsula.

Day 6: Drive back to Anchorage for late flight out.

Questions: Is this realistic? My husband is an avid fisherman, so I'm hoping he can do some river and bay fishing, perhaps with a guide we enlist through whatever lodge we stay in. Will the mosquitoes be horrible? What am I missing?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
45,094 posts
44 reviews
1. Re: Is this itinerary realistic?

Actually, you don't need to post on these specific town forums as most of us read the entire Alaska forum - I don't know of any specific poster IN Soldotna that helps here on the forum.

You may want to stay in Soldotna for a day or two if hubby likes to river fish, but I wouldn't stay here the entire time.