We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places to RV camp in Alaska

Azle, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Topic
Best places to RV camp in Alaska

We are 2 families with kids flying into Alaska June 2-12,2018 into Anchorage. We are renting RV’s in anchorage and look to fish, hike, do a boat glacier tour and then head to Denali for a few days. Most are outdoor people except 2 that won’t hike long hikes much due to bad knees. We are renting rods. I’m looking for trip recommendations and ability to fish along the way. Going South first, then headed up to Denali. Stops along the way? Can anyone recommend RV campgrounds in or around Denali and along the way? Must do’s? I know their are limited generator times and no electric in the park. Views wanted about Tek, Savage river and Riley or staying outside one of the parks like grizzly with electric. Trying to create the trip of a lifetime for our family. Please help.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Denali
Denali
2,408 Reviews
Denali National Park and Preserve, AK
3 replies to this topic
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best places to RV camp in Alaska

We've a couple of expert fishermen that I hopes see this, but I'm thinking for fishing by rod you'll want to hit the Kenai last.

I know the Upper Kenai is closed for fishing from May 01-June 10. You should check AK fishing regulations before finalizing your itinerary.

Mentioned in this post
Kenai
Kenai
Alaska
seward
Level Contributor
754 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best places to RV camp in Alaska

Hey Sam, Your dates are good for the Red run at the Rez. River. The Red run over here is a lot easier to fish than on the other side. You should be able to do very well snagging in the ocean. Maybe MNman could talk about this and where else to go. Best.... Joe

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas, Alaska
Level Contributor
5,398 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best places to RV camp in Alaska

Sam; my first inclination was to ask if you could possibly back thinks up a week or so...those first 10 days of June are just too early for most runs. The Russian doesn't even open till the 11th of June. I'm not too sure of the rivers up toward Denali, ...maybe some trout/dollies, but too early for salmon.

But as boakAK pointed out, your timing is spot on for the earliest fishery on the peninsula, red salmon snagging in Ressurection bay, in front of the river and at several points around the bay.

A couple things about that fishery though...how old are the kids? The snagging down there can be dangerous, with lots of folks slinging around 2 oz weighted treble hooks. Best to be sure to have eye protection and be very careful...if you find yourself next to anyone who isn't being careful, move.

Move anyway...it's a tide driven run, with fishing generally being best as the tide moves in or out. Also, everyone will want waders as it's a considerable walk, especially when the tides running out, and always muddy.

Edited: 23 December 2017, 13:39
Reply to: Best places to RV camp in Alaska
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted