We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending the night in Homer vs Soldotna

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
19 posts
75 reviews
Spending the night in Homer vs Soldotna

We'll be driving a lot during the day and I'm trying decode bergen these two towns. After a long day sightseeing is like to finish of the day waking among assume stores, restaurants and bars. I was assuming soldotna might be better since it seems to be the bigger town. But Homer looks like it may actually have more going on than Soldotna. So my questions are: Which if any ofthese have some main street and/or downtown? Particularly open into midevening 8-9ish? Do any have a row of shops, bars and restaurants to wander past in the evening? Is there a stronger choice between Homer Spit, downtown/main street Homer and downtown/main street soldotna? Hotels would be another important factor. Any other advantages of one over the other?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
13,124 posts
233 reviews
1. Re: Spending the night in Homer vs Soldotna

Without any knowledge of your trip I'd straight up pick Homer.

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas, Alaska
Level Contributor
5,442 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Spending the night in Homer vs Soldotna

ditto, no contest. Homer is more fun to walk, especially the spit.

seward
Level Contributor
775 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: Spending the night in Homer vs Soldotna

The guys above are right on!! In Slowdotna go to "The Moose is Loose".

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
233 posts
95 reviews
4. Re: Spending the night in Homer vs Soldotna

While Soldotna and Kenai have their charms and spots, it's a bit spread out. If you want to walk a row, Homer is the place to do that. If you stop in at The Moose Is Loose, get a road kill, very good.

Kearney, Nebraska
Level Contributor
457 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Spending the night in Homer vs Soldotna

If you pick Homer be sure to check out the Salty Dawg for a cold beer.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
63 reviews
6. Re: Spending the night in Homer vs Soldotna

Personally, to me Homer or Soldotna are not wander about towns with bars, restaurants, etc. The only ting close to that would be on the Homer Spit and not sure how late they stay open out there. As you are from Las Vegas we are not set p that way here, and use our cars to go to such places

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
19 posts
75 reviews
7. Re: Spending the night in Homer vs Soldotna

Thank you everyone. Homer seems like the clearly better option. I'm not expecting the Vegas "Strip" here (on the contrary!), so anywhere we can stretch our legs and wander in and out of a few shops, bars, etc., would be great and I'm assuming the view from the Homer Spit is better than the main street through Soldotna anyway.

Edited: 19 July 2015, 15:53
Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
63 reviews
8. Re: Spending the night in Homer vs Soldotna

If your interest is bar hopping, Homer is not the place. What we do have is a long walk between (and time to sober up too).

Don't know about such in Soldotna. And, no scenery through the "main street" of Soldotna except a bunch of traffic lights - the only place between Homer and Anchorage t\o have them

9. Re: Spending the night in Homer vs Soldotna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2016, 15:17