We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tsunami

Shanghai
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Topic
Tsunami

I will be in the french polynesia from March 1st to March 12th. I was worried about the rescent earth quake in chilli and the tsunami that it generated. Is the french polynesia at risk at the moment? how about future tsunami generated from the after shock? any website that i can go to find information regarding tsunami in FP?

Bora Bora, French...
Level Contributor
967 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tsunami

We are on red alert meaning evacutions of certain areas and no more traffic allowed... normally this lasts a couple of hours only... for the next few days it would depend on the magnitude of the after shocks if an alert is re-issued and what level

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/ptwc/

Lake Stevens, Wa
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Tsunami

Well keep us informed. I too will be travelling soon to Bora Bora and want to know asap if you guys get hit and how bad it is. Hopefully not too bad for you guys. Well keep our fingers crossed for you all.

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tsunami

Poehere~ Keep us informed please. I am most concerned about the people out in the atolls...as they are just a few feet above sea level and there is no where to evacuate to.

Hopefully this will turn out like the one a few months ago...much ado about nothing.

Stay safe.

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
286 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tsunami

tsunami has already been and gone down there. Wave height is much lower than a bad Pacific storm.

Just a slow news day.

ATN did divert one flight to Hawaii to be on safe side.

There will be some crying from the Black Pearl farms looking for more Govt (French) subsidies.

Otherwise another great slow day in FP.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
112 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tsunami

So no damage to FP??? That's great!!!!! Supposed to hit Hawaii in one hour or so

Bora Bora, French...
Level Contributor
967 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tsunami

All islands except the Gambier archipel are still on red alert and the airport is still closed with not road traffic allowed either and those evacuated still up on the mountains

So far no damage fortunately and looks like Marquesas had the highest waves so far but they're vulnerable due to the many and deep bays...

Bora Bora, French...
Level Contributor
967 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tsunami

LOL Wahoobob, that is just too bad and too late for the pearl diggers cause there ain't no more dough around, the wells have dried up and Sarkzo is economizing...

Bora Bora, French...
Level Contributor
967 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tsunami

Red alert has been lifted except for Marqueses, highest waves 16 foot (4,5 meters) at Hiva Oa, no damage reported so far.

Hope the Hawaiian islands will come out ok!

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tsunami

Good. Glad to hear another case of not too much of an issue. Yes, it's probably a bit annoying to have a red alert and have nothing come of it...but it's better to be safe than sorry!

Hopefully the tsunami doesn't cause problems anywhere in the Pacific basin.

Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tsunami

That is such great news! I have been looking through the internet all day trying to get updates. So thank you for the post.

My fiancee and I are coming in 3 weeks. We already had to change hotels once because of Cyclone Oli shutting down the St. Regis. We cannot wait to get there!!!!

Praying for good weather from here on out for all of you. The island looks amazing and would really like to get there to see it first hand!