We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recreation in and around Tok, including Tetlin Refuge.

Sierra Vista...
2 posts
Recreation in and around Tok, including Tetlin Refuge.

Hi............. Just curious as to how much fun can be had right there in the Tok and Tetlin area? I will be in AK all summer beginning in May, I will have four other people traveling to AK at different times to join me for a week or so at a time. So I will be acting as partial tour guide, I thought I might use Tok as a hub to operate from, and explore outward a hundred or so miles from there, when I have people coming to join me. I will take longer excursions during the part of the summer when I am alone. Can I give my friends a good AK experience and keep activities centered around Tok and a surrounding 100 mile radius?

5 replies to this topic
Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
6,759 posts
171 reviews
1. Re: Recreation in and around Tok, including Tetlin Refuge.

The only time I've spend in Tok is going through while headed up or down the Alaska Highway. It's usually just topping off the tank and grabbing a bite at Fast Eddies...

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,160 posts
35 reviews
2. Re: Recreation in and around Tok, including Tetlin Refuge.

I wouldn't consider Tok a hub for entertaining people......The Tetlin Refuge is huge and beautiful.....many animals, but a very swampy region with lots of small lakes.....other than a stop at their wonderful Visitors Center and a few small trails that are near the highway, the only way to get into the refuge to explore it would be by a canoe or small boat.......

Tetlin is east of Tok and to the west of Tok is mostly undeveloped forests....

There is really nowhere within 100 miles of Tok that would be of interest to typical tourists, maybe some stream fishing opportunities......other than that, Tok exists mostly as the first stopping place that you reach in Alaska when traveling on the Alcan Highway, a cross roads that will eventually take you to either Anchorage or Fairbanks......Mostly RV parks, a few small motels, one grocery store and the best part....Fast Eddie's.....great food !

If you are working in Tok and that is the only choice for you to entertain folks.....there are two trips that I can think of but both are over 100 miles.....

1. Drive to Chicken from Tok.....up and over the Top of the World Highway into Yukon Territory, drop down into Dawson City.....lots of history there, stay at least two nights if you can......All day drive from there down to Whitehorse....spend a night or two and return east on the Alcan to Toak....

2. Drive from Tok to Glenallen to Valdez....Lots of glaciers, waterfalls and great fishing.......

I would poll all those folks who you will be guiding for and ask them what type of activities they want to do and what they want to see, then you could do some research and find out the best places to include.....Do return to this forum with any specific questions along the way and you will get helpful suggestions and honest opinions, based upon actual experiences......

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
3. Re: Recreation in and around Tok, including Tetlin Refuge.

Good ideas from mombear.

You & your visitors would need to get passports for border crossings to the magnificent Top of the World & such.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,160 posts
35 reviews
4. Re: Recreation in and around Tok, including Tetlin Refuge.

Good reminder, Cat !

Sierra Vista...
2 posts
5. Re: Recreation in and around Tok, including Tetlin Refuge.

Thank you. That is a very detailed response and gave me a lot of insight on the area.

Reply to: Recreation in and around Tok, including Tetlin Refuge.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tok