We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cottonwood Shell Station

Flagstaff, AZ
Level Contributor
4 posts
36 reviews
Cottonwood Shell Station

Is anyone else in Cottonwood angered by this gas station? It had brightly lit $3.45 for gasoline, like other stations. When I went to the pump, it was $3.55. I inquired within, she said there was a sign below it that said cash. I said, "Maybe you noticed it since you work here." The fact is, it's a deliberate deception. Drivers key on the price of gas and not the thousands of other signs on the road and the small cash sign so that the Shell owner can give an excuse for misleading. People should boycott that station. I drove across the road to the Giant station at the intersection with a sign that also said $3.45 AND at the pump.

11 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,146 posts
250 reviews
1. Re: Cottonwood Shell Station

This is a common practice at many gas stations throughout the USA. Don't blame it on one place. Now you've been educated. Pay attention next time.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Cottonwood Shell Station

It's a pretty common practice in many places where I've driven. I'm actually more surprised that gas stations in Flagstaff don't practice it. I believe some municipalities don't allow it.

United States
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
3. Re: Cottonwood Shell Station

It's common practice across the country. I always figure that the adverised price is the CASH price. If I'm wrong, yay!!

I will say that a 10 cent difference is a little on the steep side. Usually closer to 5 cents up here. Probably depends on what your credit card servicer is charging

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,759 posts
855 reviews
4. Re: Cottonwood Shell Station

We got one like that south of Morriston as well; also shell, and I walked into that trap as well last year ... well, all you can do is deal with it and shrug it off ... since it does say cash if you read everything thats there ... now I know ...

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
5. Re: Cottonwood Shell Station

Thumbs up. I'm a Shell shareholder ;-)

United States
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
6. Re: Cottonwood Shell Station

Oh, so it's all your fault, Tet14. :^)

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,184 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: Cottonwood Shell Station

LOL.... be happy you're only paying that much !

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
48 reviews
8. Re: Cottonwood Shell Station

Tet! LOL! You sound like Mr Z. He owns Mobile/Exxon so always says "buy their stock" when people complain about high gas prices.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
9. Re: Cottonwood Shell Station

Will be a nice talk in Green River Ziggy!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
48 reviews
10. Re: Cottonwood Shell Station

Hopefully we'll get more chances to talk in Green River than we did in Escalante.

Reply to: Cottonwood Shell Station
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cottonwood