We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overview of Green Valley

Northeast
Level Contributor
54 posts
Overview of Green Valley

My husband and I are planning to retire in a couple of years and have been exploring different areas to live. We plan to be in Tucson in December and would like to check out Green Valley. We'd like to find a two bedroom townhouse or patio home and have been looking on the MLS website, but I have no idea what the different areas of Green Valley are like. Can anyone give me a brief overview of the area? Thanks.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
1. Re: Overview of Green Valley

Green Valley is nice, a tad cooler than the Tucson area. The housing market there has really gone up the last 7 years or so. It's close enough to Tucson for big shopping trips, the malls and things to do.

While you are out here I might suggest heading a bit east and checking out the Vail area. Vail has really exploded as far as housing goes and is looking like it'll be the next "bedroom" community in the Tucson "suburbs". They are really building out that way and there are plans in the next few years for large stores. Land or homes are still affordable, rains a little more there and is cooler as well.

Northeast
Level Contributor
54 posts
2. Re: Overview of Green Valley

Thanks for your input. We did look in Vail when we were out there in June and liked it a lot. The only reason we aren't considering it now is that we are thinking of buying a townhouse to spend six months of the year for a couple of years until we decide whether a permanent move is for us. I haven't seen any townhouses in Vail. But if we do decide to do a permanent move, it will definitely be a place we will consider. In addition to Green Valley, we are looking in Northeast Tucson. Thanks again.

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Overview of Green Valley

The big thing in Green Valley is GVR (Green Valley Recreation). We have 12 pools, 17 tennis courts, 2 racketball, many fitness centers, 3 lapidary, huge woodshop, clay studio, ceramics studio, line dance and many other dance clubs, etc. etc. If you like activities, this is the place for you. If all you do is golf (not included) or sitting around, don't bother. Believe me, a larger number of people is needed to have successful activities. For example, when we stopped in Battlement Mesa Colorado, they told us if we would move there they would finally have one square for square dancing. This is not fun! If you like activities, you can't beat GVR!

Northeast
Level Contributor
54 posts
4. Re: Overview of Green Valley

Thanks, Oldster, that sounds like what we are looking for. We don't golf and don't want to sit around. We like the idea of being around people with common interests. The major difference for us between our current home and what we see in Green Valley is the space. We only have 1 acre of land now, but houses in Green Valley, as well as all other active adult communities, are really packed together. I love being outside on my patio, and am a little concerned about a lack of privacy or quiet with neighbors so close. Do people generally find that to be a problem?

Northeast
Level Contributor
54 posts
5. Re: Overview of Green Valley

As a follow up to my earlier post, we visited Green Valley earlier this month and loved it. It has everything we are looking for, and we are now actively looking for a winter home in a couple of the neighborhoods we found especially attractive.

Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Overview of Green Valley

I recently retired (63) and living in the Tampa area. During the past 5 years development has gone crazy. The area is being over developed, bringing in too many people, traffic, crime and in general, it's simply to crowded to enjoy the beaches and weather. I'm now considering a trip to GV and explore the town homes and communities. I have been there before but felt at that time, I was a bit too young to settle there. Now I'm more inclined. I would appreciate your pro and cons of living in GV. I'm a single (again). Many thanks.

uofafamily
Level Contributor
35 posts
7. Re: Overview of Green Valley

My husband and I just looked in Green Valley at the Robson gated community. It was WONDERFUL! However, coming from the Houston area where housing is incredibly inexpensive, I'm afraid we won't be able to afford it. We also looked at another Robson community in Oro Valley which is north of Tucson.

Given that my husband is a native of the Old Pueblo, we spend about two weeks there each summer visiting relatives. We love the Tucson area and can't wait to move there when our daughter graduates in 6 years.

8. Re: Overview of Green Valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 11:22
Get answers to your questions about Green Valley