We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route PE to Addo

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
177 posts
10 reviews
Best route PE to Addo

Can you tell me what the best route is to Addo (will be staying in hotel close by). They suggest via Motherwell but i just watched a Vlog on Youtube (Probably silly i know but) that suggested this road may be unsafe to drive on. Would it be better to drive on to Colchester and turn left and head from there to R335/6. It will be daytime when we are travelling.

We do not mind a little extra on the journey time, would rather that than feel uneasy.

Also would you suggest a 4 x 4 / SUV Hire car rather than a smaller car. We will be driving in Addo, And then heading to Pumba Game Reserve.

8 replies to this topic
Plettenberg Bay...
Level Contributor
258 posts
1. Re: Best route PE to Addo

I would definitely suggest going to Colchester and entering the park at this gate. You can then drive through the park to main gate and exit and go to your accommodation.

The other route is also fine to drive but it must be one of the dirtiest pieces of roads in SA and not a pleasant sight however the road is fine.

No. Need for an SUV. Enjoy

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,528 posts
2. Re: Best route PE to Addo

Colchester is best because you can start game watching so much sooner.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
177 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Best route PE to Addo

Great, we are now planning to stay inside the Main Rest Camp in Addo so it is good to know that we can use any gate to enter and exit park. Well work out better for us especially when departing for Pumba. Thank you for your help

George, South Africa
Level Contributor
76 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Best route PE to Addo

I have driven through Motherwell a number of times without any issues, however coming in from Colchester will be a much more scenic drive.

An SUV or 4x4 rental will provide you with a higher platform to do your game viewing from which could allow you to see over the taller grass that are in certain parts of the parks.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,270 posts
79 reviews
5. Re: Best route PE to Addo

If you have the option to upgrade and get an SUV, then go for it as it gives you a little bit of a higher view option than being in a sedan vehicle. Other than that, you will not need a SUV to drive in the park itself and Pumba's road infrastructure is pretty good as well for sedan vehicle to get to their reception area. There is a few gravel/dirt roads in Addo but nothing to worry about when driving with your sedan vehicle. You will need to adhere to the speed limit anyway and can only drive between 30/40 km/h.

As advised also, to rather drive from PE to Colchester and then from there enter at the bottom gate and drive through the park to get to the top at the main gate. An easy slow drive that will take you about maybe an hour to two hours but to start your drive for the first day and get some sightings in will be quite awesome. And please, when in the park, stay in your vehicle at all times. I have seen people getting in and out of their vehicles all the time and again also you will get fined if you do get caught. There is predators (lions etc.) in the park by the way, for my reason for saying that too. :)

All the best and enjoy the drive!

Hank Daries I Ulungele Tours & Safaris I Cape Town & South Africa

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
177 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Best route PE to Addo

Great advice thank you all. Good point about SUV for better views. Will check prices. We have arranged to enter by Colchester gate and drive up to main camp. We are staying at Nyathi Rest Camp, looks nice, very much looking forward to it

Leipzig, Germany
Level Contributor
128 posts
7. Re: Best route PE to Addo

We stayed in Nyathi last week, the Bungalows are beautiful. Please be aware that you have to check in at the Addo Main Camp reception at 15:00 p.m.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
177 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: Best route PE to Addo

Worried we wont make it on time. Flights arrive in PE 12.30pm then pick up hire car.

Reply to: Best route PE to Addo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted