We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from PE to Cape Town in 2 days

Which Port Elizabeth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Curitiba, PR
Level Contributor
57 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from PE to Cape Town in 2 days

Hi,

Is it possible to make only one or two stops ( overnight) if so, which city/places do you recommend? We are going to travel with our one year old child, so don't want to many stops or lots of things to do in the way. Only nice hotels/ guest houses at the beach with nice pool.

Thanks!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from PE to Cape Town in 2 days

If you do one stop half way (in the Plett/Knysna/Ttisikama area) then you will be looking at 4-5 hours drive on the days you travel. If you do 2 different stops, you can cut your driving down to less than 3 hours per day. Which would you prefer?

Curitiba, PR
Level Contributor
57 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from PE to Cape Town in 2 days

Ok, now I think that 2 stops is better. Let's consider first stop in Knysna. But I can't find any good place between Mossel bay and Cape Town to reduce the driving time... Waiting for your help...

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
469 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from PE to Cape Town in 2 days

I would actually go on the inland route. After Mossel Bay the N2 is quite boring - not running along the coast any more and usually busy. You could via Oudtshoorn and then take the R62 to somewhere like Barrydale or Montagu and stay overnight here. This route through the Klein Karoo, makes a greta contrast from the Garden Route

If you really want to stick to the N2 (the road nearest to the coast), the Swellendam would be a good place to stop. Personally I would go via the R62.

Lisa

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from PE to Cape Town in 2 days

The main highlight of the road between Port Elizabeth and Cape Town is the Garden Route area, which is roughly the stretch of coastline between Tsitsikamma / Stormsriver and Mosselbay. Therefore I would plan to overnight in this area on both nights. From Mosselbay to Cape Town is only about 4 hours, so you can drive that in one go. You can even consider spending two nights in one place (perhaps at Wilderness or Vic Bay) so you have a free day to do something fun and explore some of that area. That will give you a 3 and a half hour drive on the first day and another 5 hours on the last day to get to Cape Town. Knysna is great but not really on the beach so perhaps you may want to consider Beacon Island Hotel at Plettenberg Bay as a first stop (right on the beach) and then something like Haus am Strand in Wilderness or Land's End at Victoria Bay as a second stop. That gives you another 5 hour drive to Cape Town. If you stop in Swellendam or somewhere along the R62 (which is a longer drive) you will not be at the sea for that second night.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Curitiba, PR
Level Contributor
57 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from PE to Cape Town in 2 days

Thanks everybody for the tips.. working on reservations right now...

6. Re: Driving from PE to Cape Town in 2 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2012, 01:17