We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glen Afric

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
409 posts
63 reviews
Glen Afric

We will be in Kruger first, then want to visit Glen Afric with my animal obsessed 12 year old granddaughter & hope to do most of the activities. Can I ask how many nights should we book for?

TIA for any replies.

13 replies to this topic
1. Re: Glen Afric

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 September 2018, 23:11

2. Re: Glen Afric

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2018, 10:11

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
242 posts
55 reviews
3. Re: Glen Afric

Well said Gavin, completely agree. Please stop supporting these places.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
347 reviews
4. Re: Glen Afric

Please don't visit Glen Afric whatever you do. This is one of the places where people can play with tamed wildlife unaware of the fact that these "wild" animals will later be killed by hunters or that their bones will be exported to China. Please watch the film "Blood Lions" or take a look at the book: 'Cuddle Me,Kill Me' by Richard Pierce to see the truth about this horrible,ghastly unethical trade.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Glen Afric

Seeing elephants seem to be a big attraction, there's plenty on here https://nspca.co.za/?s=Elephants and here https:/… that should make an animal-lover feel rather distressed.

Edited: 14 September 2018, 03:46
North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
409 posts
63 reviews
6. Re: Glen Afric

Oh no, I'm very much with you all on this & find it absolutely disgusting, & sign every petition I can to fight it. Now need to tell my granddaughter who's not just obsessed with animals, but also the tv serial 'Wild at Heart'.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
409 posts
63 reviews
7. Re: Glen Afric

Also, I have sent Glen Afric a link to this forum via facebook messaging to give them the opportunity to have their say. They have seen my message, but not replied as yet!

Broederstroom...
2 posts
8. Re: Glen Afric

Glen Afric prides itself in being a sanctuary for wild animals. A place where guests can experience animals in their natural environment. Our Elephant Interactions take place in their natural surroundings - the African bush, providing guests with the unique opportunity to experience their majesty up close.

Our predators are kept in generous enclosures as they need to be separated from the other wildlife. They are lovingly cared for by staff and volunteers who feed them and make sure their living spaces are kept clean and disease free. Staff and volunteers supervise the animal enrichment programme where our predators are stimulated and exercised. Visitors and Guests do not interact with the predators (cuddling etc.) but can observe them from an open game viewer during a predator tour.

Our elephants came to us as the result of a culling exercise in the Kruger Park back in the early nineteen nineties and our predators were from previously unhappy backgrounds. We believe that we have saved them and provided them with a home for the rest of their natural lives.

We are in no way connected to the canned lion hunting trade and do not breed lions at Glen Afric - all the females have been serialised. The owner of Glen Afric is the most avid anti – canned lion hunting, person around, having studied the subject intensively, over the past 12 years.  She knows who the ‘players’ are, and where they are breeding the cubs. There are many horrific stories of the inhumane treatment and wholesale slaughter of lions - much is true, but there is also a lot of unsubstantiated claims and general misinformation about animals in captivity.

We run a totally transparent operation and anybody is welcome at any time to come and visit/inspect us.  We also have annual inspections from the NSPCA. As an animal sanctuary, we provide a safe haven for all of our animals and their safety and wellbeing is paramount.

Rowan Bouwer

Marketing Officer

Glen Afric

Broederstroom...
2 posts
9. Re: Glen Afric

Glen Afric posted a response/statement on this forum, but Trip Advisor removed it - deeming it inappropriate in terms of their policies. We are trying to understand the reason for this and modify our statement accordingly.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
28 reviews
10. Re: Glen Afric

It was automatically removed after being reported by forum users - presumably on the basis of self-promotion.

Reply to: Glen Afric
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pretoria