We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kruger with kids

dubai
Level Contributor
33 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Kruger with kids

Im planning for a trip to kruger with my family (kids ages 3,5,8) in june-july. Ive read through many threads that since its winter its almost malaria-free.How much of a risk am i taking if i decide to go without taking malarie meds? Moreover, what are the permissible age groups to take malaria meds for kids and side effects?

Have any of your kids at this age taken the meds?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kruger with kids

We have taken our son twice, when he was 5 and 6. I will not advise you to skip the malria meds, even though I have heard and believe the risk is significantly lower, the consequences of malaria are severe. We had a choice of 3 medications, but only ony was suitable for children under about 6, and that is the one I do not remember the name of. Doxicylene is cheap, but can damage children's teeth. I believe it is Malarone that is a good one, but it is expensive and also not suitable for young children. I do not remember the name of the med I had to get for my son. The side effects warning was a little shocking, but we did not have any problems. The risk of side effects for most of those medications gets worse with prolonged use to my knowledge, and I am not a doctor. For a tourist visit, prolonged use is not an issue.

I suggest talking to your doctor, or a doctor who specializes in travel medicine. They would certainly be the most knowledgeable. I discourage skipping the malaria meds based upon tripadvisor or similar sources.

On a happy note, taking the kids to Kruger is a great choice. We went once, then went back the following year. We skipped last year but will be there in October with our now 8 year old.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
332 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kruger with kids

There are also nice Malaria free Game Reserves in South Africa.

You can go to Pilanesberg, Waterberg of Madikwe. These are all very nice Game Reserves without the risk of malaria.

dubai
Level Contributor
33 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kruger with kids

I have done Pilanesberg with the kids ,and found it rather dull and didnt feel the real african safari experience.What child-friendly safaries do you posters reccomend?

Plus,is it safe to give a 3 year malaria meds?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kruger with kids

Kgalagdi National Park is not as convenient to Johannesburg as Kruger. It does not have the big herbivores such as rhino and elephant, but it is good for predators. It is also not as convenient to self drive, but still doable. I prefer Kgalagdi, my son prefers Kruger. I believe it is malaria free, but since we visit both parks on our trips, I am always prepared for Kruger.

Remember that thousands and thousands of kids visit Kruger each year. There are several other smaller national parks in South Africa as well, some are malaria free. Kruger is the gold mine for a traditional safari in South Africa though.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kruger with kids

You might look in to Addo Elephant National Park also, I think it might be malaria free, but you should verify that.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kruger with kids

The SA Department of Health have a very useful document which is often quoted on this forum which can be used to help people make up their minds. Although originally compiled in 2003, the information is generally current. doh.gov.za/docs/…prevention.pdf

The Medical research Council malaria programme based in Durban has updated their info within the last couple of years but the advice given and malaria map are the same. Prophylactic medication for Kruger is only remcommended between September to May. That is advice I accept having read widely on the subject, having decided the risk from the meds outweighs the potential benefits.

It's time for you to make an informed decision for you and your children. I know people will point out that low risk is not the same as no risk. Perhaps the following puts things in perspective:

"Outbreaks of locally transmitted cases of malaria in the United States have been small and relatively isolated, but the potential risk for the disease to re-emerge is present due to the abundance of competent vectors, especially in the southern states."

The above is a direct quote from the CDC (cdc.gov/malaria/about/US_transmission.html).

7. Re: Kruger with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 09:15