We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help : Kruger : 5D/4N

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Need help : Kruger : 5D/4N

Hi,

Have read some of the top FAQs for Kruger and they have been informative. However, at this stage I am just lost in the plethora of information.

OK, so we are a couple visiting SA in May 2012. We are there in total for 2 weeks. We start from CPT and exit from JoBurg. We spend 4 days in CPT and then head to self drive Garden Route/R62 drive for another 5-6 days. Eventually we finish the drive near Knysna and plan to take a flight on 16 May from George to JoBurg.

All sorted until here !!

Moving onwards I am confused where to start with Kruger. We plan to spend 5D/4N in Kruger possibly basing ourselves in 2 different areas of Kruger. Total budget for Kruger bit is under 10K ZAR.

Here are my questions :

1. What is better a Do it Yourself bit (Sanparks) or package tour ?

2. For packages I tried these : Intrepid Bundu, Drifters, Sunways, Jenman, G-Adventures, Nomad, Acacia

There departure dates do not match ours, so any other good , genuinely priced companies that depart on 15 or 16 May ?

3. Having done the self drive bit on Garden route, not very excited for self drive in Kruger ? So again what options do we have ?

4. We need to be back by 8 PM on 19 May to catch a flight back to London, so thats another factor to consider. Our package option drives back by that time ?

5. Should we consider a package ex JoBurg or elsewhere ?

Thanks

Rohan

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
925 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help : Kruger : 5D/4N

drive yourself and plan the entire according to your needs

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help : Kruger : 5D/4N

We have just returned from a 5 day 4 night Safari with Simon at Wild Wings Safaris thoroughly recommend them. He picked us up from Johannesburg & dropped us back there. Our trip was fantastic, found Simon, Punctual, had a great knowledge of all the animals & birds. He was an excellent cook, cooking all of our meals and we enjoyed them.

Adelaide Jake

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help : Kruger : 5D/4N

Thanks Adeelaide Jake....

We have booked up a resort in Balule Reserve..Ezulwini Lodges for 3 Nights.

What I am now looking to sort out is whether we take transfers from them ? or rent a car and drive to Balule from Jo'Burg.

Our exit flight again is from Jo'Burg.

Thanks

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help : Kruger : 5D/4N

Hi Sonirohan,

You'll find Ezulwini to be a great lodge.

You'll probably find it best to take the Ashtons shuttle, leaving Johannesburg airport at 6.00a.m. for Hoedspruit. They'll also pick up at nearby hotels, guesthouses, etc. at 5.30 or so. There's usually a stopover on the route to get some brekkies. www.ashtonstours.com.

The guesthouses around the airport often offer complimentary shuttle services to meet you when you fly in.

The shuttle takes you to the gate of the reserve, and Ezulwini Lodge meets you there (it's usually coordinated very well and runs smoothly).

The return shuttle leaves the reserve gate around midday, and returns to Jhb airport, usually around 5.30p.m., so you should be well in time for your return flight.

It's usually cheaper and far less hassle than hiring a car, and you can relax and enjoy the scenery.

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help : Kruger : 5D/4N

Thanks Bushkid...

I checked out their website. They are charging around 870 per person per way.. Since it is 2 of us, it is 3500 roughly for 2 people return...

Is it not slightly pricey ? May be I am out of touch of the rates in SA :(

Cheers

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help : Kruger : 5D/4N

With two folk it's marginal. If you look at car hire (say R300-R400 per day, toll fees (about R60.00 each way), fuel (estimate about R1000- R1200.00 for the trip), vehicle entrance fees to the reserve (R120), and the complications of hiring a car and the potential for damage (potholes - particularly on the R36, cracked windscreens, punctures, etc), the security bond on your hire vehicle (R10,000-odd sometimes for two weeks), and the complications of collecting and returning a vehicle, it can become worthwhile to use the shuttle (but it still remains marginal for two folk who are prepared to self-drive).

You did mention you were probably going to hire a vehicle anyway, so it might be easier for you and a better option to continue with a hire.

I would personally hire, so I can see the sights on the side-roads too.

I did a check recently on a private shuttle just to Hazyview or Hoedspruit, and it was running at about R5000.00 each way.

Anyway, it's an option to consider. The only other realistic option to get there is to fly to Hoedspruit, but that'll set you back about R1500-R1800.00 pp each way, and then you still have the logistical issues of transportation and coordination on each side.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
152 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help : Kruger : 5D/4N

Hi Rohan,

I am planning to visit SA in July so want to know all the details.

Where did you book Ezulvini Lodges from? Was it from here:

http://www.ezulwini.com/

And if I may ask-- WHY did you chose them? and not any other Private Game reserve?

And what are you planning on doing for the reminder of 2nights in Kruger?

I am in J'berg area from the 7th to 15th July (8nights) and want to spend 6nights in Kruger-- 3in a private reserve-- and 1 or 2 may be in hotels out side the park and a 1 nights stopping around the Panoramic Route. What do you think of it?

I am also thinking of hiring a Car but was wondering shall I leave it in Kruger and take a shuttle back to J'berg Airport or drive back...??

Would request you to let me know your thoughts and share what you have learnt whilst researching this!!!

Thanks.

Adrain

8. Re: Need help : Kruger : 5D/4N

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 04:43