We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sights/things to see in Rustenburg?

England
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
464 reviews
Sights/things to see in Rustenburg?

We'll be passing through here for a night or two on our way from Sun City as my boyfriend has family living here. I'm just wondering if there were any sights or points of interest to look into? The information on the internet for Rustenburg is quite thin on the ground!

Thanks in advance :-)

9 replies to this topic
England
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
464 reviews
1. Re: Sights/things to see in Rustenburg?

I have found Magaliesberg canopy tour which looks like it could be worth doing, but any other recommendations would be greatly recieved.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
94 reviews
2. Re: Sights/things to see in Rustenburg?

Is Nice to do, but is not Rustenburg.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: Sights/things to see in Rustenburg?

I haven't been in the Rustenburg area for many years but there was never all that much to do in and around the town, and I doubt there has been any sudden flowering of tourism. There's stuff to do around the Magaliesberg, like the canopy/zipline experience you found, but Rustenburg itself ... I doubt it. You've come across the Magalies Meander website I take it? Also http://showme.co.za/rustenburg/ (which rather proves the point that there's little doing in the town ...)

Edited: 07 August 2015, 14:38
England
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
464 reviews
4. Re: Sights/things to see in Rustenburg?

Thank you - i thought as much. We are not there very long anyway. TA lead me to believe the canopy tour was in Rustenburg but I now see its 30 mins drive away. This might still work for us though. Thanks for your help :-)

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
94 reviews
5. Re: Sights/things to see in Rustenburg?

There is nothing to do in Rustenurg, but perhaps go to a mall.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,688 posts
6. Re: Sights/things to see in Rustenburg?

The only place I know of, near Rustenburg, that MAY be worth a visit, is the Paul Kruger Museum at Boekenhout fontein, one of President Paul Kruger's farms.

The farm buildings have been restored, and are administered now, as part of the Kedar Country Hotel, Conference Centre, and spa, situated on 600 hectares, game fenced, with a variety of game, including eland, blesbok, impala, bushbuck, nyala, kudu, zebra, blue wildebeest, giraffe, pygmy hippos and sable antelope.

Edited: 10 August 2015, 09:04
England
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
464 reviews
7. Re: Sights/things to see in Rustenburg?

Thanks everyone - just wanted to check there was nothing I had missed! We're only there a night or two anyway, so will probably drive out to the canopy tour or just chill out a bit before moving on. The SA forums are very helpful :-)

Asheville, North...
1 post
2 reviews
8. Re: Sights/things to see in Rustenburg?

Pilanesberg Game Reserve, Magaliesberg, Hartebeespoort Dam, Sun City, Buffelspoort, Cradle of Mamkind, Chamelon village, Kgaswane

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
7 reviews
9. Re: Sights/things to see in Rustenburg?

If your boyfriend's family is typical S.African they will keep you busy and may even be offended if you want to wander off on your own. Give them a chance to guide you.

Reply to: Sights/things to see in Rustenburg?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rustenburg
Recent Conversations