We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in the City

Perth
Level Contributor
32 posts
26 reviews
27 helpful votes
Safety in the City

Hi, I have been to SA before, but never to Sun City or Johannesburg.

Just wondering how safe it is in Sun City? Do the precautions you would take in Joburg or Durban apply to Sun City or is it more of a closed-off resort that is safer?

Thanks

Pilanesberg...
Level Contributor
455 posts
8 reviews
4 helpful votes
1. Re: Safety in the City

Sun City is safer than the safest place in Perth - it's closed off & is probably the safest in SA as well....

Perth
Level Contributor
32 posts
26 reviews
27 helpful votes
2. Re: Safety in the City

duno bout being safer than the safest place in Perth but I understand what you are saying - thanks for your info!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,396 posts
3. Re: Safety in the City

I am not sure that Sun City is the "safest place in South Africa"!

Wherever you go there are shady people in the background who are trying to take all your money. They have even devised hundreds of horrible machines which take all the hard earned cash from some poor people.

Be very careful!

Pilanesberg...
Level Contributor
455 posts
8 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: Safety in the City

lmao Vannie Kaap, that's right, at Sun City they have these Machines that come up to you and make you put your hand in your pocket, and fork out some cash.....

Ags
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
99 reviews
55 helpful votes
5. Re: Safety in the City

Sun City is completely enclosed entertainment centre/resort. It has four hotels ranging from the cheapest and most familiar oriented, the Cabanas (3 star), Sun City Hotel (3.5 star), Cascades Hotel (4 star) and the Palace of the Lost City (5 star).

You can walk around even at night from one area to another or take one of the regular shuttle buses which drive up and down the road from one hotel to another.

Plenty of activities whether you want watersports, pubs (not enough of those - only one real one), plenty of swimming pools, if you have kids, plenty for them to do during the day but limited at night. There is also the Pilanesberg National Park adjacent - much smaller than Kruger but still an enjoyable experience, especially if you take a proper game drive with the experts.

Ags

Vanderbijlpark...
Level Contributor
469 posts
172 reviews
92 helpful votes
6. Re: Safety in the City

Hi there.

I am I South African and we go to Sun City twice a year.

For us it is MOST definatly a VERY VERY safe place to be.

It is about 2 hours drive from Johannesburg and the resort has strict security.

If you stay at the Palace of the Lost city the security is even more tight and only residents of the Palace may use the pool area.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,396 posts
7. Re: Safety in the City

Links to pictures of some of the "dangerous" places in Sun City where you might loose all your money - lol!

…hotelclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/su…

southafrica.net/sat/…

Pilanesberg...
Level Contributor
455 posts
8 reviews
4 helpful votes
8. Re: Safety in the City

oi Kuipie, I have now realised that Sun City IS actually the safest spot in South Africa.... :)

Ags
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
99 reviews
55 helpful votes
9. Re: Safety in the City

Also forgot to say there are two golf courses - Gary Player and the Lost City.

The most dangerous species in Sun City are the annoying baboons.... but there are strict rules about not approaching them etc. We are after all in their domain, but the problem has been that people have been feeding them and where at one time they stayed within the confines of the bush, they do walk around the complex early in the morning and late afternoon.

Pilanesberg...
Level Contributor
455 posts
8 reviews
4 helpful votes
10. Re: Safety in the City

Yup, forgot to add the baboons as well...and the Monkeys! We were staying at the Palace on the 2nd floor & when we came out the bathroom one of these naughty little guys was going through my now x wife's handbag..... He came in as we left the sliding door to the balcony open.

Get answers to your questions about Sun City