We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking or driving

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Walking or driving

We are staying in Camps bay for 5 nights in October and have a hire car. Can you walk into Cape Town from there to the waterfront(we like walking) or are we better taking the car and maybe parking on the beach road. Is there plenty of parking and do they charge? We want to avoid driving into the centre if it is very busy and then trying to find a car park.

Also is there plenty of free parking in camps bay? We are staying at the Camps bay resort.

Thanks.

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
196 reviews
1. Re: Walking or driving

According to Google maps, you'd be looking at around a 9km (roughly 5.5mile) walk from Camps Bay to the Waterfront, whether or not you go through the centre of Cape Town (which would involve quite a pull up) or along the beach road.

Personally, I'd drive and park up. Parking at the Waterfront itself is very cheap by UK standards. Alternatively, if you wanted to walk some of it, park up near the mini golf at Mouille Point and walk around the coastal path where there's always a good number of walkers and joggers. Road parking is free here although you may need to tip a few rands to a car guard.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
4,736 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Walking or driving

lots of parking at the V&A Waterfront.

cape Town city centre is a bit seedy in my opinion, OKto walk arund during the day but I wouldn't fancy walking around certain streets at night.

Camps Bay to V&A is approx. 5 miles mostly along the coastal road, so I am guessing an hour. Once again before sunset should be OK but I don't know about late at night. perhaps a local expert like DivaCape will answer that question.

We have always found parking in Camps Bay , you just tip the lads to 'look after' the car.

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
372 reviews
3. Re: Walking or driving

I would drive into the V&A area - lots of cheap parking - certainly cheaper than Leeds!

Camps Bay resort is right in the centre of Camps Bay so I wouldn't think you would need to move your car on an evening. Lots of nice places to eat within easy walking distance.

The area around Mouille Point is nice to walk along the coast during the day. Plenty of people around and lots of locals jogging!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Walking or driving

Thanks for the advice on the driving and parking.Will probably drive up to Mouille point as that sounds good. Its our first time in Cape Town so complete beginners!

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
4,736 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Walking or driving

we stayed near Camps Bay and in Constantia last year and found so much to see and do, even though it was our second visit .

I have posted 2 Trip Reports on the top of this forum under 'Trip Reports', the post is one of the first 3 with a symbol to the left of the title .

Next year we have based ourselves in Hout Bay for a week as a change. You will just love the Cape area .

Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
19,765 posts
61 reviews
6. Re: Walking or driving

I'm sure it won't be your last visit to Cape Town! We are returning in February for our 6th visit. We love it. There is just so much to see and do. We base ourselves for around a week in Cape Town, a week in the Winelands (from where we do various day trips and visit many of the wonderful wine estates) and have a few days on the coast in Hermanus.

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
372 reviews
7. Re: Walking or driving

It wont be your one and only trip hopefully!

I am looking forward to my 7th consecutive Xmas/New Year in Western Cape - it will be my 8th time to South Africa.

This time I am spliting between Camps Bay and Franschhoek as I am starting the trip in Namibia.

So much to see in the Western Cape.

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
983 posts
287 reviews
8. Re: Walking or driving

You can walk but the road as far as Sea Point is quite busy but scenic. You could park in Seapoint free by the promenade and walk along the seafront as far as the V and A, it is a pleasant walk, lots of people about and joggers , but would only do in day light hours.

The sea seems to have a special light, there are plenty of seats to take in the view.

The walk into Camps Bay has lovely views as you near Camps Bay of the apostles.

If you are keen walkers it is possible to climb up Lions Head which gives fantastic views over the city.

9. Re: Walking or driving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2015, 01:16