We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Supermarkets

The Wirral, UK
Level Contributor
340 posts
225 reviews
Supermarkets

I have just been looking at a review for the apartments we will be staying in at The Crystal and a reviewer states that no alcohol is sold in the Camps Bay area and to bring your own. As we are partial to a G & T on the balcony in the early evening, I find it very surprising that alcohol is not sold, especially as there must be many self catering establishments in the area. Obviously, we will bring our own duty free now, but can we buy tonics in the area? What about other food supplies, like bread, eggs, yoghurts, fruit, wine etc. We not intend to cook meals and will eat out. If they don't sell in the resort, why not?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,373 posts
1. Re: Supermarkets

Liquor (spirits, beer and cider) cannot be sold in Supermarkets only liquor stores which are all over - you can buy wine which is agricultural produce!. However Camps Bay needs to fit in tourist restaurants and souvenir shops in all available retail space and there is only one small supermarket. Drive north to Seapoint or south to Hout Bay for loads of excellent large Supermarkets and Liquor Stores - usually they are together but must by law have separate entrances.

BTW Liquor is much cheaper in SA stores than in so-called "Duty-Free"!! And the food in big SA supermarkets is much higher quality than the UK. It has your one missing ingredient - Taste! Born "over the water" in Liverpool and miss SA quality food and wine every time I go back to visit family.

Edited: 11 November 2014, 05:54
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
450 posts
105 reviews
2. Re: Supermarkets

Every restaurant, and most cafes will sell alcohol, you just won't be able to take it off site. You won't go thirsty.

As VdC says alcohol is quite cheap in RSA. However sometimes the range of spirits can be limited (major brands are stocked). So if you have a particular favorite non-standard Gin, then get it on departure. There are also Duty free shops after immigration in JNB - I assume the same in CPT, but I've never flown in there International.

For you to compare prices, a 750ml bottle of Bombay Sapphire Gin will be between R220 and R280, depending on the bottle shop. Compared to the 1L of Bombay they were selling at JNB duty free for R300 on Saturday.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,373 posts
3. Re: Supermarkets

My local Liquor Store (Makro). Has Bombay Sapphire at R199 (£11 or £14.60 per litre) in a rather elegant pack including a quality cut glass G&T glass). Gordons is R89 per 750ml (£4.97 or £6.62 per litre).

Heathrow Duty Free Price is £20.49 per litre for Bombay and £18.99 for Gordions - …heathrow.com/index.php/products/liquor-age-…

Gordons at Cape Town arrivals "Duty Free" is R165 per litre nearly 40 percent more expensive than the local liquor store.

Makro BTW lists 21 different brands of Gin. - and 257 brands of Whisky - from R99 per bottle up to R2,000,000 (that's Two Million Rand) per bottle!

http://www.makro.co.za/liquor/whisky-LAH

Edited: 11 November 2014, 07:34
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
450 posts
105 reviews
4. Re: Supermarkets

Given their location is it is unlikely they will go to a Makro. I was quoting based on my experience with independent local bottleshops... although this is making me consider getting a makro membership card, as they clearly charge more for Gin at bottle shops in Sandton! :-)

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,373 posts
5. Re: Supermarkets

Hi Andrew

I have always found that Ultra Liquors is just as cheap as Makro and they will certainly pass an Ultra Liquors in Main Road Greenpoint on their way into the City or to the Waterfront. Just checked and they have the same special pack Bombay for the same price and their Gordons is actually R5 cheaper than Makro - R84.99/£4.75 a bottle!

www.ultraliquors.co.za/liquor/index.html#/6/

http://www.ultraliquors.co.za/weekly.htm

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
224 posts
29 reviews
6. Re: Supermarkets

Why not arrange for a drinks delivery to your apartments. Usually the managers can arrange it (I think you are staying at Village & Life apartments). Alternatively order online (we use this service - http://www.bottleshop.co.za/) and arrange to have them delivered to the property. I'm sure you can get the managers to make sure they are in your apartment, stocked and ready to go when you arrive.

All the best.

Richard Marshall

Nox Rentals

Camps Bay Vacation Rentals

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,373 posts
7. Re: Supermarkets

Hi Rich

Well just looked at bottleshop prices and they are even more expensive than "Duty Free" - particularly when you have to pay R55 delivery. Don't think that that would persuade the OP not to Bring Their Own!

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
185 reviews
8. Re: Supermarkets

There is a very good store in the Woolworths shopping centre in Hermanus & it's a very enjoyable drive both ways. There's another one by the Chapman's Peak hotel which is more expensive.

The Wirral, UK
Level Contributor
340 posts
225 reviews
9. Re: Supermarkets

Thx for replies. We won't have a car for the first week as we only take delivery for the 10 days we are travelling the Garden Route anspd Winelands. Can you get the bus to the bigger supermarkets? Not that we want much and will only want one bottle of Bombay. And the price looks similar to what we can get over here. Might pick one up at Heathrow. Like bubbly though. Is there a local one as in Cava, Prosecco or just a good sparkling SA wine you can recommend?

Agree that the 'taste' is definitely missing in all fruit & veg plus beef is always tough, unless you pay a fortune for it. You can definitely tell the difference when travelling. The supermarkets over here have ruined the small local suppliers and farmers.

Looking forward to the restaurants as I have heard they are good.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,373 posts
10. Re: Supermarkets

Buses are great. you can get the MYCiti bus either to the Chequers new large Supermarket in Seapoint - about 10mins - there is a Chequers Liquor store next door (still cheap). Across and down the road from here is a Woolworths store with a good food dept - virtually a clone of M&S in the UK. Alternatively take the bus in the opposite direction to Hout Bay quite a few supermarkets here. Which you go to depends on the bus you get. The 108 goes past a good Spar while the 1-9 goes the other way round Hout Bay and you will find an excellent large Woolworths, a Checkers and a brand new large Pick n'Pay - due to open in a couple of weeks. There are plenty of Liquor Shops - at the Spar, opposite the Spar (Picardi Rebel) - these two are the best and also close to the checkers. I assume the Pic n'Pay will also have a Liquor Shop next door. It is a bit site they are working on.

BTW if you aim to use the MyCiti buses and you have a smart phone get the My Citi App for your phone which will give you bus times - directions to the nearest stop maps etc. You need to get a MyConnect card onto which you load money and use just like a London Oyster card. You can get these at offices and stores around the city and suburbs. Camps Bay is again a bit of a wilderness for this. From the website it seems the only place is the Library - but this is pretty central and close to a bus stop. You system is cash free and you cannot pay on the bus.