We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camps bay or not camps bay that is the question?

rainham kent
Level Contributor
9 posts
37 reviews
Camps bay or not camps bay that is the question?

Hi all,

We plan on spending about 5 days in Cape town next August. 6 adults all in our 50s, obviously we want to see and do all that cape Town has to offer. Im torn between staying in say the Bowl area and having the convenience of everything being on our doorstep, or staying out at Camps Bay and travelling in to Cape Town (how long doe that take by taxi by the way?) and having the added extra bonus of the beach. So do we stay in Cape Town or do we stay in camps bay?

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
11. Re: Camps bay or not camps bay that is the question?

If you don't feel comfortable climbing up the mountain you can drive up signal hill which also boasts magnificent views. Or for a shorter climb consider Lion's head. Climbing Table Mountain from Platteklip is quite easy...stairs all the way too the top...but a lot of them (-;

I wouldn't worry to much about the electricity issues, a lot of places cook on gas plus if load shedding happens it is not the entire day but just a couple of hours. Hopefully there won't be any when you visit...

rainham kent
Level Contributor
9 posts
37 reviews
12. Re: Camps bay or not camps bay that is the question?

Thank you everyone, after taking stock of all the info that you so very kindly supplied, we have booked our accommodation in Tamboerskloof. So my next question to you is. Which restaurants in the area would you recommend?

Many thanks

Tony

Edited: 10 January 2015, 05:19
north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
134 reviews
13. Re: Camps bay or not camps bay that is the question?

Look at Millers Thumb (great fish) and Kyoto Garden (a bit pricey but really good food). We also liked Societi Bistro - a little further away. Are you staying at Parker Cottage? If so the first two are definitely very close - less than 5 minutes walk.

rainham kent
Level Contributor
9 posts
37 reviews
14. Re: Camps bay or not camps bay that is the question?

Blimey Joyce, we are staying at Parker cottage, you don't work for the North Yorkshire constabulary, do you? Do I take it that you have stayed there in the past or was it just a lucky shot in the dark (I think not)? Thanks for the restaurant tips, as you most probably know you can wander around for ages looking at restaurants, and nothing beats a personal recommendation :-)

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
134 reviews
15. Re: Camps bay or not camps bay that is the question?

Yes, we stayed at Parker Cottage last year - fab place - the best b&b in the City Bowl (in my opinion) For restaurant recommendations, ask the owners - they are so good at helping with your itinerary. We actually taxied to Societii Bistro as my husband has a bad leg, but it wasn't very far anyway. No don't work for the Constabulary but were are planning our 4th trip to CT at present and I have done a ton of research over the last few years. Our "trip of a lifetime" not to be repeated was in 2008!!!!!!!! Hope you don't get the bug too - we'll never get into our favourite places at this rate!

16. Re: Camps bay or not camps bay that is the question?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2016, 02:16