We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

chobe&victoria falls vs kruger

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
chobe&victoria falls vs kruger

I have a week in Cape Town while my husband is working at the end of April. We then want to experience some wildlife as we have a spare week. We have never travelled to Southern Africa before. I'm tossing up between a 5 day tour in Chobe NP with a quick add on to Victoria falls or a similar length tour to Kruger National Park. Any advice to which would be the better. Or maybe something comletely differen that I haven't thought of.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,601 posts
65 reviews
1. Re: chobe&victoria falls vs kruger

Those are two remarkably different options. Staying within the Kruger Park is inexpensive, some trouble (because you either feed yourself or eat in the camp restaurants) and easy to do, once you understand how to use the booking system operated by SanParks, the government agency that oversees National Parks. Wildlife is good, it's a pretty no-hassle experience. For some more money, you can stay in one of the private reserves - and you would be traveling in low season. An agent in Melbourne who books the AndBeyond camps could show you some good deals.

Flying to Botswana and back from Victoria Falls will add a lot of expense to your trip, but there are some amazing deals right now you could use. This site has some of them and Island-Safari is a reputable company - http://www.chobe-national-park.com/ But the camps in that cheapest package are not among the best, for sure. One more thing - you will probably use one day just connecting the flights you would need for Botswana.

I would lean toward a decent private reserve in South Africa rather than going to Botswana for such a short time.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: chobe&victoria falls vs kruger

Hi vejie,

Both of the options are fantastic, but as Dave says, very different experiences.

The Victoria Falls should be running close to their peak capacity, and would be a fantastic experience (maybe a once in a lifetime opportunity to visit one of the seven natural wonders of the world). Chobe is spectacular at any time, and could be very well worth the visit up there. With Botswana prices rising through the roof (because of exploitative tourism practices), the sooner you get there, the better.

Kruger on the other hand, ranges from a relatively cheap self-drive or fully accommodated and catered destination, to an extremely luxurious (read over-priced) experience. There's an incredible array of lodges and private reserves in and around the Greater Kruger area, and you would do well to keep an open mind and search carefully for a lodge and a reserve to suit your budget and requirements.

Other great reserves are Madikwe (getting a bit crowded), or Welgevonden (in the Waterberg region). Same distance as Kruger, just as beautiful, similar wildlife, but not as well-known.

You can also look at the Tuli Game Reserve (border of Botswana, South Africa and Zimbabwe), an area I'm fascinated with. It's not that far from Johannesburg (not much further than some places in Kruger), and offers some great lodges at very reasonable rates.

Edited: 07 April 2010, 02:13
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: chobe&victoria falls vs kruger

Thanks for your replies. So quick!!

You have given some good advice but I'm still confused. I will have yo do some more research.

Do you know how different the wildlife is in the different areas? ie Kruger or similar vs Chobe

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: chobe&victoria falls vs kruger

Hi Vejie,

You could write books on the subject, because of the incredible diversity of habitat in both areas (and many books have been written).

With the end of the rainy season, the wildlife in both regions is fairly well dispersed, but the animals will slowly start moving towards main water sources. We've had good and widespread rains, the vegetation is lush everywhere, and most of the animals in perfect condition.

The Chobe region of Botswana boasts about 100,000 elephants, and buffalo, lions and leopards are plentiful (but not rhino). There's a wealth of other wildlife, ranging from hippos and crocs, to hundreds of bird species and many other creatures. A variety of habitats allows ample opportunity of seeing so many animals it would astound you.

The same can be said for Kruger, except Kruger has more diverse habitats and the changes are more "gentle" - if you get the drift (unless you're really aware of your surroundings). Kruger also has everything you could wish for, plus the rhinos that are largely absent from Chobe. Even in Kruger, some areas are better than others for certain types of animals. Because water sources are more spread out (in April anyway), you'll find everything everywhere, but a little to find!

I don't believe that one is necessarily "better" than the other, They are both unique and both exceptional.

Hope that helps (20 guidebooks squashed into a nut-shell by an amateur - LOL!)

USA
Level Contributor
718 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: chobe&victoria falls vs kruger

In April, I'd stay put in South Africa. The huge elephant herds that Chobe is known for are more disperesed in April.

If visiting Vic Falls is a lifetime dream and this is your only chance, then I'd side more with the Chobe trip. Otherwise, save the money and the transit time and stay right in Kruger.

What a nice opportunity either way.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: chobe&victoria falls vs kruger

Thanks again for all your help.

I really want to see Victoria Falls but I think I might stay in Sth Africa for this trip.

I will just have to go back someday.

Although.. tomorrow is another day and I still may change my mind.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
7. Re: chobe&victoria falls vs kruger

Thanks again for all your help.

I really want to see Victoria Falls but I think I might stay in Sth Africa for this trip.

I will just have to go back someday.

Although.. tomorrow is another day and I still may change my mind.

Cinnaminson, New...
Level Contributor
91 posts
34 reviews
8. Re: chobe&victoria falls vs kruger

Hello.

I actually just got back yesterday from doing both. I did Botswana (day safari in Chobe and two days in Vic Falls), then five days in Sabi Sands, a private game reserve next to Kruger.

Bushkid is right on about the descriptions of Chobe and Kruger. We saw a lot more animals in a short amount of time in Chobe. (I'm guessing that it's smaller and more compact than Kruger?) We saw elephants, hippos, wart hogs, crocs, impalas (of course) and giraffes, within a few hours at Chobe. In Kruger, we could spend an hour driving around without seeing much at all. BUT, there we saw lions, leopards, water buffalo, rhinos and gnus. (Not sure if we had spent more time at Chobe, if we would have seen more.)

If you're still on the fence, and you want both the falls and safari experience, I'd suggest Chobe/Falls. You get both in one trip. Otherwise, I'm sure that you'll still have a fabulous time at Kruger.

9. Re: chobe&victoria falls vs kruger

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2010, 00:17