We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Scenic Route from Cape town to Knysna

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
3 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Best Scenic Route from Cape town to Knysna

Hi,

I am traveling with my wife and 2 kids (13 & 9) from cape town to knysna. We can leave in the morning and reach by evening and have nothing else planned for the day.

We wanted to know which would be the best route to take and what are some good places to stop on way for Sightseeing, pictures, food or anything else that's a must see. We will be in Knysna for 3 days after that so will have time to explore Knysna and ita surrounding areas. From Knysna we are taking a flight to Johannesburg so will not be coming back on this route.

3 replies to this topic
Knysna, South Africa
Level Contributor
254 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Scenic Route from Cape town to Knysna

You can either take the N1 and then at Worcester connect onto the R62, or just take the N2 via Somerset West. They are almost the same distance. The N2 has fewer bends but both are really easy, pretty drives.

Stop at Tredici as you get to Swellendam for a great lunch. It's almost on the N2.

With children that age you can't go wrong with a stop at the Dias Museum in Mossel Bay. It's a short detour off the N2. They will love the real-life replica wooden ship which actually sailed from Europe to South Africa. You can board the ship. It's REALLY interesting for kids and adults of all ages. There is also a cave at the beach there.

When you get to Knysna they might enjoy Scootours - downhill scooters with small fat tyres (no motor) through the forests.

Mentioned in this post
Worcester
Worcester
Western Cape, South Africa
Mossel Bay
Mossel Bay
Western Cape, South Africa
Vadodara, India
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Scenic Route from Cape town to Knysna

Hello,

I am planning the similar road trip, thanks for that. I will also add Dias museum.

I am not sure but in between this route we have a bridge which is famous for bungee jumping and also at some spots we may locate whales. Do you have any Idea of this locations? Is it possible to add this?

Would be great If we know the exact location.

Thanks.

Port Elizabeth
Level Contributor
397 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Scenic Route from Cape town to Knysna

The bungee is Bolukrans Bridge which is further along between Plettenburg Bay and Storms River.

Whales depend on the time of year, but in any case you wont see them without going a long way off the route.

Reply to: Best Scenic Route from Cape town to Knysna
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Knysna