We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is a week to long in BA ?

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
203 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
is a week to long in BA ?

Arrive Santiago Chile on 4th July, then fly to Buenos Aires on 8th July and fly back to Santiago(to connect to flight to Sydney) on 14th July

Is a week too long in BA ? I wanted to do ferry trip to ascunscion and maybe a horse ride, so a week sounds fine to me .

Any thoughts ?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
203 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is a week to long in BA ?

Cancel ascuncion. I realize its too far. Gone back and read prior posts. Sounds like a week is not enough !!

Level Contributor
1,791 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is a week to long in BA ?

No, a week is not too much time. It would allow you to maybe go to an estancia overnight or just for the day. You could also go to Colonia, Uruguay for the day. Enjoy!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
203 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is a week to long in BA ?

thanks otroviaje. My first time in South America. Direct flights now from Australia.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,826 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is a week to long in BA ?

I have been here for 5 years now.

5 years is not too long :)

Being from Australia, you will probably relate to the size of things here. This country is huge. It takes forever to get to other places outside of the city. You need planes and overnight bus rides or ferries.

A ride to San antonio de Areco en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Antonio_de_Areco

for a day or overnight would be good, the high speed ferry to Colonia, Uruguay would be nice ..as otraviaje suggests ..but the city is huge and you can do a neighborhood (barrio) a day and only scratch the surface.

Do lots of reading, if you don't have one, get a good guide book.

Have fun with the research!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
203 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is a week to long in BA ?

Thank you Scarlett. Greatly appreciated. Big push to connect Oz trade wise, with Chile and Argentina.Direct flights. oh la la.

I'll put a kangaroo in my back sack !

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
762 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is a week to long in BA ?

Hola,

A week in Buenos Aires will give you plenty of time to explore the city. While in town, you should consider the following:

1- A dinner tango show with live orchestra. They are great! Tango Porteño and Esquina Carlos Gardel are two of my favorites.

2- During a tour of the city, be sure to visit the Recoleta Cemetary and check out the historic architecture.

3- A bike tour through around Puerto Madero is a good time- though try to do it on a Saturday or Sunday when there is less traffic.

I agree with Scarlett- a day trip to San Antonio de Areco for some gaucho/cowboy fun & horse riding is definitely worth it.

If you decide that you want a change of pace from the big city, you can catch a quick ferry to Colonia, Uruguay with Buquebus or Colonia Express. Ferries depart every day and they have packages for day trippers and weekends alike.

Have a great time!

Ps- Don`t forget- it is easy to visit Iguazu Falls too. There are daily flights as well as comfortable overnight buses (approx 17hours).

Edited: 24 April 2012, 14:03
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is a week to long in BA ?

I have been here for 5 years now.

5 years is not too long :) LOL

I am going through terrible BA withdrawals right now! Wish I was sitting down to a bife de chorizo with a provoleta right now. I was only there a week and it was such a tease!

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: is a week to long in BA ?

Hi,

I believe a week is a bit too much, even if spending a day in Colonia, and a day at an "estancia" for horse-riding, etc. In my point of view, 3-4 full days covers BA, add another 2 for Colonia and the Estancia, and you should be all set.

Enjoy!

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is a week to long in BA ?

BA isn't really a "tick the boxes" tourist destination. It's more a place for people who want to experience a unique world city with a special ambiance, a vibrant atmosphere, interesting restaurants, even its very own dance and musical instrument (the bandoneon).

Plus beautiful town planning and architecture. A large city with a profusion of connected neighbourhoods exuding distinct flavours they themselves created but without the grand objects like the Tower of London or the Tour Eiffel. It's a great (walking) city to be in and to soak up its special culture around you rather than to just see. Imagine hip London suddenly holding in its palms for you one borough with 2000 completely unspoiled islands in a world heritage-protected delta. BA does this without even boasting.

I've visited BA 5 times for a total of 6 months and yet still on each flight home, I'm already jotting down what I want to discover and experience new there on my next trip.

Completing one's first week in BA is akin to being at that point when you've just finished eating the most delectable and melodious appetizer introducing a meal being prepared by a world reknowned chef in his friendly and unpretentious 'satelite' restaurant where he works hands-on to get away from the stress caused by all the hype surrounding his own fame.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
203 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is a week to long in BA ?

Thank you everyone for your input.

Very greatly appreciated