We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SeaCat Colonia Ferry

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
SeaCat Colonia Ferry

This may be a silly question but I wanted to use this ferry to go from Buenos Aires to Colonia. As it is a small ferry, can it take luggage as well? I have tried booking online but the site will not accept our Canadian Visa card for payment. I need to find someone to call for me, but think this is still the best price.

57 replies to this topic
Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,385 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SeaCat Colonia Ferry

Hello,

You are allowed up to 2 pieces of luggage. Total maximum weight 30 kilos.

Now that the summer is (almost) over, you should have no problems buying your tickets once you arrive to Buenos Aires.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
497 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SeaCat Colonia Ferry

We used the SEACAT on Dec.5th. It it actually the Buquebus....leaves fron the same place and one way saved us about $30US for 2 people.

We took Buquebus back to BA from MVD. Otherwise, you need to take the bus to Colonia and then the ferry to BA. It IS less costly.

Vero is correct. You will not have a problem showing up....or getting the ticket if you arrive in BA a few days earlier.

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SeaCat Colonia Ferry

Just got the ferry from Buenos Aires to Colonia on May 14. You can buy the tickets from the SeaCat office which is on Cordoba Av (772?). It was much cheaper than buying from Burquebus. Ironically, it was on the same ferry. We also bought the bus connection straight to Montevideo - very easy process as the Burquebus buses are all waiting right outside the ferry terminal exit.

We wanted to get our return on SeaCat from Colonia to BA for a few days later. Unfortunately, all the boats were full (maybe due to it being a Friday?) and we had to get the expensive Burquebus ferry which cost more than the whole trip to Montevideo. Luckily, there is a Burquebus office across the road and a block to the left from the SeaCat office.

Manchester
Level Contributor
8 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SeaCat Colonia Ferry

Used SeaCat to tour Colonia de Sacramento from Buenos Aires. $765peso for 2 people round trip included a 1 hour bus tour of he adjacent area and entrance to the museums in historical district. Left BA on 8am departure on a Tuesday. Hardly anyone on board, lots of open seats. Don't forget your passport, don't forget your reciprocity fee receipt. Check in was a breeze arriving 1 hour before. People and bags go threw security check. Trip home was awful. We arrive at the terminal in Colonia 1 hour before our departure and we stood in line for 1 hour and 15 minutes, getting threw security and immigration. Ferry didn't leave until 6:30.

san francisco
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: SeaCat Colonia Ferry

I wanted to buy a SEACAT ticket for January 16 2014 from BA to COLONIA for just the day

Tried unsuccessfully to buy tickets online

Site wouldn't let me get the tix. It kept asking for info that seemed too difficult to provide

Can anyone help me to figure this out??????

Manchester
Level Contributor
8 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SeaCat Colonia Ferry

We had to call the office to reserve tickets.

san francisco
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: SeaCat Colonia Ferry

do you know the phone number of seacat or how to dial them from overseas? they list 43145100 as their number on their website but i have no idea how to actually dial that and everything i've tried hasnt worked.

thanks

Manchester
Level Contributor
8 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SeaCat Colonia Ferry

It goes to Colonia and there is room for small luggage. I do not speak Spanish and was able to book on the phone. Be prepared to say, in Spanish, "I dont speak Spanish, can you help me in English"..

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,385 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SeaCat Colonia Ferry

Dial your international access digits (usually 00) + 54.11. 43.14.51.00

"Yo no hablo Español. Por favor, alguien que hable Inglés"

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
132 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SeaCat Colonia Ferry

It's Saturday and the SeaCat office was closed so I went to the buquebus terminal to buy tickets for Monday. I had to take first class back, and the total was 848 ARS but they wouldn't let me pay with pesos. I had to use a credit card to the tune of $124. Ridiculous.

I'm also thinking they sold me buquebus tickets even though I asked for SeaCat cause I don't see SeaCat anywhere.

Can you get the tickets cheaper from a travel agency since they can probably buy with pesos and give you a better rate?

Reply to: SeaCat Colonia Ferry
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted