We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

to do

Helsinki
1 post
Save Topic
to do

if we plan a visit to catamarca for 4 days what would be the places to see, visit or things to do? What are the main tourist attractions?

We are a couple of 57yrs and ready to rent a car and drive around and visit places also on our own as well as a part of a group.

Budget is dependable but if the attraction or program is fascinating we can invest to it.

Córdoba
Level Contributor
583 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: to do

The province of Catamarca is not very well know, but very interesting indeed. Think about visiting the region around Tinogasta & Fiambala (known for its thermal baths), the road between Belén and Andagalá is beautiful, and of course the extremely rough Puna of Catamarca (the road via El Peñon up to Antofagasta de la Sierra).

To drive around yourself is possible, take into account that some roads are unpaved. Depending on the period in which you will be traveling, unpaved roads can be in bad condition (during rain season f.e., from Dec till March).

Besides, I would not recommend you to do the Puna region by yourself, do this with a private guide who knows the region.

Enjoy Argentina!

Jan

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: to do

Would you be arriving by plane into San Fernando del Valle de Catamarca, the main city? If so I would stay one night there. There is a magnificent church there, its a Cathedral and the photos I have seen dont really do it justice. I wish I had taken some good photos, it is really worth seeing. Also there is so much hand made pottery and some very very ancient indigenous pottery. It also has very good museum . Heart has given you very good advice . I would just add that you can stay at Fiambala and from there take an excursion and then stay in Belen and take a different one. I will try and find the name of the agency that I used and give it to you. What time of year will you be going? Summer is extremely hot!! during the day. You should not do the more remote regions on your own, the guides have satellite phones and emergency supplies and know this region well.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: to do

The tour agency was called Alta Catamarca and they have a website www.altacatamarca.com.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: to do

I am in catamarca just finishing 6 nights in Catamarca what would you like to know...

5. Re: to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 September 2012, 18:05
6. Re: to do

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 September 2012, 19:35
7. Re: to do

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2016, 11:15
Get answers to your questions about Province of Catamarca