We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purmamarca-Humahuaca Gorge-Salta tour guide

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Purmamarca-Humahuaca Gorge-Salta tour guide

Hi, my husband and I are visiting the NW region of Argentina in early September. After a few days in the Atacama Desert, we are planning to travel from San Pedro de Atacama by bus (probably Andesmar but not booked yet) towards Salta, but staying over night in Pumararca around the 2nd week of September.

I would really like to hire a guide with car to take us from Purmamarca to Humahuaca and other places of interest and then transfer us to Salta where we will stay for 4 nights.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to guides that could provide this, or similar, service. Or is there another way this can be done without hiring a car.

Any other suggested tours ex Salta would also be appreciated.

Thanks

6 replies to this topic
WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,783 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Purmamarca-Humahuaca Gorge-Salta tour guide

Angie/Giena who posts so much good information on this Forum is one excellent guide for this region.

Search her name in the Search bar above, and you will not be disappointed. Have a great trip.

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Purmamarca-Humahuaca Gorge-Salta tour guide

Hello, Vejie;

September is a wonderful time to do the NW of Argentina.

If you come from SPA, I think the best would be for you to stop in Purmamarca and arrange to start te tour right from there, visit Purmamarca, Humahuaca, Tilcara...and then to do the South visiting Cafayate two, three or four days would be required for this portion.

Angie/Giena

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Purmamarca-Humahuaca Gorge-Salta tour guide

Thanks for the information.

Angie, I've sent you a message...hopefully you got it!

melbourne
Level Contributor
13 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Purmamarca-Humahuaca Gorge-Salta tour guide

Hi Vejie, We are David & Marion,Melb Aust. I read your recent post on T/A re:Purmamarca-Mumahuaca Gorge-Salta tour guide, Did you go with Giena as your guide, If so, how did it go for you. We will have 3 full days in the Salta region, do you have any stand out sights/experiences you could recommend for us ?. I know 3 days is not long enough but we have other commitments in Argentina. Look forward to your reply. Thanx & Regards, D & M

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Purmamarca-Humahuaca Gorge-Salta tour guide

If people comes from San Pedro de Atacama (Chile) by bus, I usually suggest people to stop in Purmamarca and arrange the tour from there. It give you at least 6 more hours to enjoy your time in a nice place as Purmamarca is. You can arrange to start a tour form there starting the following day. to Humahuaca, Tilcara...

Warm regards,

Angie/giena

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Purmamarca-Humahuaca Gorge-Salta tour guide

Hi David & Marion, a few days ago we spent four days in the Salta region. We arrived by bus from San Pedro de Atacama (a great bus journey), got off at Purmamarca, spent the night. Genia/Angie picked us up the next day and took us further into the Humuacha Gorge before returning to Salta.

Overnight in Salta and then Angie picked us up again and we spent the next two days doing the Calchaquies Valley Circuit. If your time is limited I would suggest the Calchaquies Valley and Cafayate area as the priority. The scenery was out of this world! We thoroughly enjoyed our time with Angie. I hope it works out for you. We are loving our time in South America!

Reply to: Purmamarca-Humahuaca Gorge-Salta tour guide
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted