We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 nights in salta province

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
149 posts
203 reviews
7 nights in salta province

My husband and I will be arriving in salta next Monday

the 18th at about 5 pm. I have booked one night at the don Numas hotel I San Lorenzo. We have 6 additional nights to spend in the province.I would like to rent a car and drive to cayafate to spend 2 nights. Then my next destination would be in purmamaca. Should I consider a night in salt a on my way there as it looks like it is over 200 miles from cayafate to purmamaca? In addition I'd like to know if we should consider overnighting in salta again the night before our flight that leaves at 1 pm. Or, can we stay in purmamaca the night before we depart and drive to the airport the morning of our flight ? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,644 posts
36 reviews
1. Re: 7 nights in salta province

Hi. Rosemary;

Many questions, I hope not to forget any of them....

I think itis better to consider an overnight in SALTA in between Cafayate and Purmamarca. I would base in Purmamarca for your driving in the northern area.

Salta - Purmamarca (at lunch) and a driving to the Salt flats in the late afternoon... (starting at 5 p.m. you may be returning for dinner around 8:30 and experience the sunset in there! Magic time! Next day tale a time to walk in Los Colorados (around 1 hour) But do not miss it.... Leave not later than10:30 to Uquia (visit the church), Humahuaca just see the monument, church and rive back to Tilcara. DO not forget to stop for pictures at the Tropic of Capricorn.

Have lunch at Yacon on rivadavia 222 and visit the indian ruins and Archaeological Museum. Drive back to Purmamarca. Nest day, late drive back to Salta....

Remember that driving back to Salta takes at least 2,5 hours on the highway, be careful not to take road 9, the winding road in the way back. Remember also that you need additional time to get the car back to the agency.

Another thing.... get a reliable car rental...

HOpe I helped.

Angie/Giena

New York
Level Contributor
125 posts
38 reviews
2. Re: 7 nights in salta province

You will have a wonderful time! Just remember you will be in JUJUY province in Purmamarca. You will love the trip. The advice that Giena gives you is great advice, as always.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
149 posts
203 reviews
3. Re: 7 nights in salta province

Thank you so much for your generosity to answer my request with such attention. Just one clarification...do you suggest that we spend the night in salta on our last night in the area?

Italy
Level Contributor
39,684 posts
235 reviews
4. Re: 7 nights in salta province

We also had 7 nights and stayed the first night in Salta, then travelled up to Purmamarca the next day visiting the salt flats, then next day we made our way back to salta via Humahuaca, Uquia and tilcara, we stayed the night in Salta and the next day drove to Cachi, where we stayed the night before carrying on to Cafayate where we stayed 2 nights, then back to Salta for our final night. It was pretty spectacular and well worth the trip, it's an easy drive and we hardly encountered any other cars only a couple of Gaucho's.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
149 posts
203 reviews
5. Re: 7 nights in salta province

Thanks so much chrella. I will follow your itinerary but will eliminate a night in cachi to cut down a bit on the driving. Do you have any suggestions for a hotel in salt a that will provide easy access to the roads, or is it easy to drive in and out of salt a? In addition, what car rental company did you use? Any hotel recommendations would be appreciated.

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,644 posts
36 reviews
6. Re: 7 nights in salta province

Yes, Rosemary, I would prefer, and you would do also to make sure you will be in time! It will also make your tiem more relaxed... Sometimes on route 34 in the way the traffic is terrible and make things difficult...

Angie/Giena

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
149 posts
203 reviews
7. Re: 7 nights in salta province

Thanks Gina. I will plan on spending the night in Salta the night before we depart. Muchas Gracias!

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,644 posts
36 reviews
8. Re: 7 nights in salta province

Dear, Rosemary; My pleasure!

I am sure you will love the country and I ram confident you will wnjoy every single place in teh NW!!!!

Angie/Giena

9. Re: 7 nights in salta province

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2014, 00:16