We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week in Bariloche

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
A week in Bariloche

Hi everyone,

I will be flying into Bariloche at the end of September and will have a week in total in Bariloche before flying out to El Calafate.

My question is whether I should spend the entire week based in Bariloche doing a day trip or two by bus or tour , maybe hiring a car to visit a little further afield by day, doing the odd walk (okay in the first week of October?), or just relaxing! We will have been away from home for almost 6 weeks at this stage so the relaxing part does sound good.

Or should i consider spending 3-4 nights in Bariloche then head somewhere else for a night or two (maybe Villa La Angostura, maybe Puerto Varas in Chile) before returning to Bariloche for our flight onwards.

Any advice would be good.

6 replies to this topic
San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
12,800 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A week in Bariloche

The Bariloche area is perfect for a week of sightseeing and rest. Renting a car for local transport is an excellent idea.

Some highlights with the car would be the 7 lakes drive towards San Martin de los Andes beginning at Villa Angostura.

The short circuit drive with a stop in the Swiss village for a Curanto(typical Andes style of cooking) lunch would be fun.(weekends).

A boat trip from the docks below the LlaoLlao hotel.

A visit to the Cerro Catedral ski area with a ride to the top of mountain with incredible views.

A day trip to the Chilean lake area near Puerto Varas.

A day trip to the art town of El Bolson.

For accomodations, I like the area near the LlaoLlao hotel and farther from the downtown of Bariloche.

Have fun with your holiday planning.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A week in Bariloche

I like your ideas.

When you suggest staying out of Bariloche, closer to Llao Llao, is this feasible if we don't hire a car?

Is it possible to do the seven lakes trip in a day?

I had looked at El Bolson and I think this is quite doable travelling by bus for the day?

The lakes area near Puerto Varas...can you explain further how this would be done.

Thanks for your information.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
12,800 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week in Bariloche

If you don't hire a car then you would be somewhat limited to what you can see in a reasonable time. Places like El Bolson, Puerto Varas, etc would be difficult to visit in one day with the local transport unless you were on an organized tour.

The local buses run from the downtown area to the LlaoLlao area, however to stay in that area it would be better to have a car.

Mano of the organized tours are going to originate from the downtown area.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A week in Bariloche

Thank you so much for your information it has helped with our decision.

We will stay a little closer to town and hire a car for some of the days to do some of the trips you suggested.

We are looking forward to our relaxing week in Bariloche.

Maroochydore...
Level Contributor
255 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A week in Bariloche

from an Australian point of view, a week is too much. OK hiring a car is a great idea. Get one from Eurocar (carlos) at the airport. He speaks English and they have an office in the city as well. get a Renault Dusta, for several reasons. You do not need a small car (chev) there as some roads are not the best and you need a place to hide you belonging. By that I mean hide them in the boot with the spare tyre before you get to the sight/ tourist attraction. Car theft to high here.

I stayed in an air bnb just out of the main city centre over looking the lake owned by an English woman and had a great time. will look up her details. she is fantastic. Hair car lets you get around. Do NOT ride a bike as the kerbs are dangerous not to mention the other drivers. No many street lights as well outside the CBD. Do NOT park your hire car on the street in the city centre but in a car parking station. You will find them easy and one is right next door to Eurocar office in the CBD.

Heading over to PV on the ferry and back on the bus is fun. See both side of the mountains. The ferry is expensive however. If you do not do this take a ferry ride to the mountains for the day. Do NOT leave your hire car at the ferry station overnight.

Great bakeries in the centre of town. Have a look at the train station as well. Right next door to the bus terminal. Via Bariloche is the best company to travel with. Nice buses. Go supa carma all the time if you can. Make sure you give a tip to the baggage handler for buses. He does not always work for the bus company and earns money packing luggage. ( you want the luggage to be there when you arrive)

Ice cream in town is fantastic. Actually super fantastic.

Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A week in Bariloche

How much is the rental car cost?

Reply to: A week in Bariloche
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted