We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the Antarctic Expedition ship options?

Which Ushuaia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia PA
Level Contributor
629 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
What are the Antarctic Expedition ship options?

I believe Lindblad and Quark are the two luxury choices to get to Antarctica and set foot on it. What are the other options?

In particular, are there cruises that leave from Ushuaia that might offer great value at only a slight loss of onboard luxury?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,065 posts
5,331 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What are the Antarctic Expedition ship options?

Any reviews for the Antarpply Expedition cruises?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,004 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What are the Antarctic Expedition ship options?

Hi Bradjill

pop into the Antarctica forum and check reviews there.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g1-i12337-Antar…

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,065 posts
5,331 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: What are the Antarctic Expedition ship options?

Awe! Now that makes more sense! Thx, Perfectly! Will spend some time browsing there.

Genk, Belgium
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: What are the Antarctic Expedition ship options?

As most of you, I travelled with Quark before, to the Peninsula and to the Ross Sea, until I discovered there was a tri mast sailing ship going to Antarctica from Ushuaia. It's the Bark Europa :www.barkeuropa.com. This is as close as you can get to the times of the explorers. It is basic, but they have installed heating in the cabins since I went :-). The Europa is a training ship. You will be on watches and trained on sail handling, look out and even stearing the ship over the Drake Passage, an incredible experience! No worries, there is allways a crew member downstairs watching if you stay the course. . Non of this is a must, but it just a lot of fun and it makes you feel like an explorer. They will also teach you how to climb aloft, if you feel like ! There will only be like 40 trainees - voyage crew is the name for the passengers - on bord + crew. This means you get more time ashore and with this only 50 meter vessel, you will get to places in Antarctica bigger ships can't go. The crew is highly professional and very dedicated to get the most out of your trip. You can ask them anything at any given moment. The atmosphere is very relaxed, you can sit with the captain, without being invited to the captain's table, as there is none.

No posh, simple harty meals, a cosy deck house-bar to hang out and warm up between watches.

For me this was the best ever and a lifetime experience!

Australia
Level Contributor
321 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: What are the Antarctic Expedition ship options?

Travelled to Antarctica with Silversea on their expedition ship Silver Explorer in February 2012. Brilliant expedition team, marine biologist, geologists, ornithologist, botanist, historian who doubled as our zodiac drivers and were available to answer questions almost 24/7. Lectures every sea day from these professionals added enormously to our understanding and enjoyment.

Open bridge, officers and crew happy to explain what's happening, except in rare moments requiring intense concentration.

Zodiac landings were well organised, generally at least two each day while in Antarctica. Because only 100 pax allowed to land at one time, 60 would land while others did a zodiac cruise among the icebergs. We had plenty of time onshore, the area you can explore is limited usually by inaccessible cliffs of ice and some environmentally sensitive area declared out of bounds.

All fitness levels catered for. Long, quite challenging, hikes for the very fit, short , not so steep walks for the almost fit and short gentle strolls on flat ground for the less active.

All outside cabins extremely comfortable with decent sized bathrooms. , Some cabins have balconies. Stewards and butlers attend to your every wish.

Guest laundry on board. Very warm parkas and backpacks provided. Rubber boots available for loan.

Delicious meals, order off menu if the choices don't suit you. All drinks included, cabin bar stocked to your requirements.

Very friendly and attentive officers and crew. Ratio of crew to passengers is about 1:1.

No "big cruise ship" style entertainment which was a plus for us. A pianist, a well-stocked library both of which we appreciated and movies to watch on cabin TV, which we were too well occupied to use. No formal nights, two or three dinners where we tried to dress more smartly, especially when dining with the captain or other officers in their formal uniforms.

Not cheap, but it has spoilt us for large ship cruising.

Edited: 08 April 2012, 21:05
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,591 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: What are the Antarctic Expedition ship options?

Hi guys,

What's wrong with posting on the Antarctic forum as suggested months ago? Much more relevant than here where it will get lost amongst the Tango and Recolata afficionadas....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: What are the Antarctic Expedition ship options?

I don't see any comments from people who travelled on Quark's Sea Adventurer....I would like to hear from some seniors about the experience...

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,591 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: What are the Antarctic Expedition ship options?

Joanne - try, as suggested above in post 12, to search in the Antarctic Adventure forum or the Cruise forum.

Seek and ye shall find. This is a very old and redundant thread.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: What are the Antarctic Expedition ship options?

I still do not see any entries that are specific to people who have actually traveled on the ship the Sea Adventurer, formerly known as the Clipper Adventurer. I am looking for ship specific entries.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,591 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: What are the Antarctic Expedition ship options?

I am looking for ship specific entries.!!!!!!!!

Further up this screen, on the right, is "BEYOND DESTINATIONS forums".

Click on "See All"

Click on "Cruises". It takes you to the crusie critic forum. Ship specific; traveller's reports; destination advice...