We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

backpacking in Argentina and Chile

London, United...
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
backpacking in Argentina and Chile

Hello,

I'm planning to travel in South America for 1 month around Xmas time. I was thinking of flying to Buenos Aires, go to Ushuaia, Torres del Paine, Moreno Glacier, Lake District, Mendoza... I'd like to take the bus as much as possible as planes seem to be quite expensive.

I just wonder how much I could do in 4 weeks. Should I fly back from Santiago (Chile), or would I have the time to get to Salar de Uyuni and Paz, or even to Machu Pichu and Lima?

Thanks for your help!

Ana

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: backpacking in Argentina and Chile

Hi Ana

We´ve just done pretty much the same route. We are around one month in - we flew into BA, then down to Ushuaia and have been making our way up by bus.

So far, we have done Ushuaia to Puerto Natales (15hrs AR$300), then to El Calafte (5hrs AR$100), then to Puerto Madryn (20hrs AR$510), then Bariloche (12hrs AR$265) and are now in Puerto Varas (6hrs AR$100)

We´ve stayed about 3-5 days in each place, so haven´t really been hurrying. I reckon you could definately make Uyuni in 4 weeks, but Machu Piccu might be a push (though not impossible!

Definately avoid flights, as they are so expensive! The only exception to this is if you are traveling to/from BA or Santiago (these are SOMETIMES cheaper than the bus)

We have a blog on www.theintrepidexplorers.com if you want more details etc.

Córdoba
Level Contributor
583 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: backpacking in Argentina and Chile

Hi Ana,

Sorry but you won´t make it up to Peru if you are doing everything by bus. To give you an idea: only from Calafate to Bariloche is already to full days of bus driving. Distances in Patagonia are huge, the is hardly any paved roads. So just take your time to do Argentina & Chili in 4 weeks, that already will be a challenge.

London, United...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: backpacking in Argentina and Chile

Thank you for your help. I've been reconsidering it, and have thought of a different tour:

Buenos Aires, Mendoza, Santiago, Salar de Uyuni, La Paz, Titikaka Lake, PN Madidi, PN Manu, Machu Pichu and Lima

Does this one sound more realistic for 4 weeks by bus, and still exciting?

I would then leave Patagonia for another trip, probably hiking/camping.

What do the experts think? :)

Edited: 19 February 2012, 17:40
4. Re: backpacking in Argentina and Chile

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2013, 05:17