We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to dine near the Orange Tree Resort

Which Scottsdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
102 posts
187 reviews
Save Topic
Where to dine near the Orange Tree Resort

My husband and I will be spending Thanksgiving week and my birthday at the Orange Tree Resort. Would love some suggestions on where to eat - we love Mexican food and steaks! Breakfast and dinner options....and Thanksgiving Day?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,910 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to dine near the Orange Tree Resort

Just to the west of Orange Tree at Tatum and Pardise Parkway is La Parilla Suiza, a Mexican food chain based in Mexico City. They came across the border into Tucson in the early 80s and have been one of my favorites since. They have an appetizer that is like a fondue with tortillas. It is a meal in itself.

A Thanksgiving suggestion is the El Chorro Lodge. It is on Lincoln Blvd. in Paradise Valley. Go south on Tatum to Lincoln. It has been a Valley favorite for years, and recently went under new ownership. Reviews indicate it is business as usual. I have been there a couple of times for Thanksgiving.

For a great steak and martini, try Durant's on Central near Osborn in Phoenix. It has been a local stalwart for decades.

I realize you asked for places near Orange Tree, but you are in the midst of a residential area there. You're going to have to travel just a bit to find anything. The closest area is Paradise Valley Mall where La Parilla Suiza is on the fringe. There are other restaurants there, mainly chains like Red Lobster and the Olive Tree.

To the northeast along Scottsdale Road, there are a number of restaurants at Kierland Commons and other places. A good breakfast place is the Village Inn on Scottsdale Road north of Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd.

Level Contributor
102 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to dine near the Orange Tree Resort

Thanks Bigguy - sound like some great suggestions - especially El Chorro!

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,483 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to dine near the Orange Tree Resort

For breakfast consider The Breakfast Club in downtown Scottsdale, just a great menu. Mexican try The Mission or Los Sombreros, also in downtown. I also like the patio at Aunt Chilada's in Phoenix for some great atmosphere.

For Thanksgiving, most of the major resorts offer either a buffet or sit down, for really a good feast try The Royal Palms, Lon's at the Hermosa, Marriott Camelback Inn, AZ Biltmore or The Phoenician. I also agree El Chorro is a great suggestion.

If price is no object, we have a new restaurant in Scottsdale Quarter "Dominick's" and then there is "CityHall" in downtown Scottsdale...top quality both places for steaks. Durant's is a terrific choice as well, full of local history.

For a quick bite just up Tatum to Cactus (Paradise Valley Mall area as abigguy mentions) Oreganos, Chipotle, even In & Out Burger...the Sprouts Market has sandwiches, salads and tons of snacks and beverage options as well. And at Shea and Tatum is Paradise Bakery & Cafe, as well as an Einsteins Bagels for breakfast or lunch.

Edited: 24 October 2011, 00:55
Phoenix, Az
Level Contributor
470 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to dine near the Orange Tree Resort

Don't forget that Z Tejas is also at Tatum/Shea and has really good food.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,483 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to dine near the Orange Tree Resort

Z Tejas is awesome, the margaritas are legendary, good suggestion nibs.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to dine near the Orange Tree Resort

We also stayed at the Orange Tree last year and it's a great place but no restaurants in the neighbourhood we could find. You'll need a car. There are several supermakets with delis just in case you want to dine in your (big) room. But you'll still need a car.

Tet

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,347 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to dine near the Orange Tree Resort

All good suggestions above. La Grande Orange is great for breakfast, it's at 40th Street and Campbell and is kind of a small gourmet deli/bakery type place. Excellent pastries and English muffins, and had a croque madame there recently that was fantastic.

For dinner, Lon's at the Hermosa is excellent. Kind of Southwestern inspired cuisine, excellent service and a beautiful patio. Also a good choice for Thanksgiving dinner and Sunday brunch.

hermosainn.com/lons/…

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to dine near the Orange Tree Resort

It's a big place along the golfcourse. If you don't want to walk too long from the parkinglot try a room near reception because no parking at the far end of the resort. The poolarea is excellent. Don't forget to visit Taliesin West and MIM museum in that area and Heard Museum of course. The part of Scottsdale where you are staying is lovely. Beautiful houses and gardens. Old town is very worth a visit as well.

Tet

Level Contributor
102 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to dine near the Orange Tree Resort

Lots of great suggestions! Thanks everyone...

We will have a car, so no problem. We'll do El Chorro Lodge for Thanksgiving dinner. What would be the best choice for a nice southwestern birthday dinner? Also, if we want to do an afternoon boat ride on either Apache or Canyon Lakes, which would be the best?

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,483 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to dine near the Orange Tree Resort

For southwestern, as mentioned above - Lon's At the Hermosa Inn is excellent, especially for a special occasion...for more casual then Z Tejas or The Mission.

Edited: 29 October 2011, 16:28