We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help for hotel location

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New England USA
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Topic
Help for hotel location

I was able to book a last minute trip with amazing luck for booking park hotels in July flying into Phoenix staying in (town?) and then having a full day and another night at the same hotel before driving first thing in the morning to the South Rim staying at Thunderbird before heading off to lake Powell, Bryce Canyon and then Zion. The tour I was following as a guide (but not taking) showed that first night in Scottsdale. I was a teen when I was last in Arizona and loved Sedona.(and wanted family to see) I was hoping to pick your brains please.. where would you stay? ~ meaning town? our flight gets in late around 9 pm and would like to go straight to the hotel. The one I was looking at was the Four Seasons in Scottsdale. Would you suggest this? Meaning is this in an ideal location with time to see a few things in Scottsdale and perhaps Sedona, or can Sedona be "seen" on the way to the south rim? I know it is only a taste ~ a tease really, but it is something. I have a lot of research to do I know, but if you could help with a nice resort type hotel, that is located in a nice jumping off spot ~ I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your time and any help you can give

two last things... can you guess on a time it will take to get from airport to Scottsdale or Sedona and then how long of a drive to the south rim? I like to take pictures so I am sure it will take longer :) thank you again

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,541 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help for hotel location

If you want to experience Sedona at all, I would advise spending that second night there instead of PHX or Scottsdale. The other reason to minimize time in the valley is the extreme heat in July.

I'd advise staying somewhere on the north side of PHX after your 9PM arrival. That will be midnight by your New England body clock. It will take close to an hour to get your luggage, pick up a car and get to a simple place to stay.

The good news is that your body clock will still be in New England when you wake up fairly early the next day and you'll be able to get an early start and on to Sedona in about 2 hours. That will give you the afternoon and over night there. It will take 2 more hours to get to GCNP the next morning, so you can enjoy a relaxing start and you will have tasted Sedona again.

New England USA
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help for hotel location

Thank you for your quick response.

Question: If I read this right~ Sedona is about two hours from Phx~ So, I would skip Scottsdale, stay close to Phx that first night and drive to Sedona our first full morning spend the day and night and onward to GCNP the following moring?

I was looking at the Pink Jeep tour... would that be a nice (fun) way to see some things in an afternoon? (I have two teens)

Or would you think it would be best to stay around Scottsdale. And save Sedona for a future trip ... ( I guess I am tyring to figure out why that tour had a stop in Scottsdale??)

Thank you again ~ I will be researching a lot this weekend and I am sure you'll be seeing more posts.. sorry in advance :)

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
56,541 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help for hotel location

It's hard to tell where Phoenix ends and Scottsdale begins. They are like one huge city scrunched together. Yes, I'm saying to skip them in favor of Sedona.

The Pink Jeep Broken Arrow tour is one of the top rated activities in Sedona. You will see and learn more in that 2 hour tour than you could possibly do on your own.

New England USA
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help for hotel location

Great! thank you..

I will look for a nice hotel near the airport then for that first night we arrive, & I will book the jeep tour.

now the only question left is... Sedona Hotel? (just kidding.. I'll look around tomorrow)

have a great night and thank you

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
56,541 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help for hotel location

For just a single night in Sedona, don't fret about which hotel. Choose Hilton or Best Western. It's not about where you sleep. It's more about how you spend your waking hours. And that should NOT be at the hotel.

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,267 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help for hotel location

The area near the airport isn't that great if you are driving and don't know the area. There's a Crowne Plaza Hotel where we leave our car when we fly out, and it seems pretty nice. Check their reviews and see if that works.

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,267 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help for hotel location

And your teens will LOVE the Pink Jeep Tour!

New England USA
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help for hotel location

Thank you for the post both of you,

I agree about the hotel (just being a place to sleep), however I am one of four to please.. haha so I'll try my best.

I was looking at the photos and the jeep tour looks amazing.. the views!

In regards to the hotel.. if the area isn't the best.. where would you go? I know we wouldn't be up to drive for a long time. (though for some odd reason I never get jet lag) But a half hour (+/-) would be ok.. A Hyatt, Hilton or Marriott type of place

any suggestions? thank you again for taking the time to respond & all the advice.

ps/ I printed off the Phoenix to Sedona driving advice you posted RedRox.. thank you (Brilliant) :)

viv

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,267 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help for hotel location

Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. I just meant we couldn't find our hotel after dark and got lost. You should be fine with directions (or an iPhone).

Just Mapquest Sky Harbor to Crowne Plaza hotel. That looked like it was closer than the Marriott I found. It's very close.

Another choice would be to take their shuttle and rent the car the next morning.

New England USA
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help for hotel location

Lol-- that's great news. The rental has been booked and I think I would rather get it all done the night before and take off in the morning-- once the crew is up. Thank you again :)