We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback on Itinerary

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
537 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Feedback on Itinerary

Our family (kids 10 and 12) will be visiting the Sedona area for our first time in late July. After posting a few questions and having received very helpful replies as well as having read a number of different TA reviews of various attractions and tours, we have put together the following initial itinerary for our three night stay.

We would appreciate any comments, suggestions or other recommendations.

Thursday: Check out of Scottsdale hotel and drive via Cottonwood to:

Red Rock Crossing

(Maybe go check out Grasshopper Point)

Check into hotel

Friday:

8AM: Slide Rocks State Park

West Forks Trail

(Maybe stop at Grasshoper Point on way back)

Sat:

7 AM Pink Jeep Broken Arrows Tour.

Hang at pool; maybe go to Grasshopper Point (Perhaps return again to Red Rocks Crossing on way to Fay)

4:30 or 5PM: Fay Canyon Trail

Dinner at Enchantment

Sunday:

8 AM: Go mountain Biking on Bell Rock Pathway in Village of Oak Creek.

check out of hotel

Drive to hotel in GC.

Given it is a busy time of year and over a week-end we would like to know if parking will be ok at the various places we will be at the approximate times as I know some lots are small and tend to fill up quickly but not sure which (!).

Also, we tend to enjoy being around water when in hot places so our itinerary has quite a bit of that.

Thanks!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,442 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feedback on Itinerary

I recommend doing the jeep tour sooner after your arrival in Sedona. The things you see and learn will make the remainder of your time more meaningful.

One swimming hole per day is probably enough. Slide Rock SP is the one place that tends to get mobbed and it is not unusual for the parking lot to close by mid day once it is full.

Where will you be staying? It might make a difference in the order of your plans.

You note dinner at Enchantment. Where else do you think you want to eat? Which restaurant at Enchantment do you have in mind?

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
447 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feedback on Itinerary

Looks good, but you might think about trying to incorporate a trip through Prescott and over the mountain to Jerome on you way to Sedona from Scottsdale. Spend even just a hour or two walking thru the town. Jerome is an old early 1900's cooper mining town built on the side of the mountain. Kids will like it, too.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feedback on Itinerary

I don't see Chapel of the Holy Cross in your plans. Definitely don't miss this.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
537 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feedback on Itinerary

Thanks everyone for the feedback. To answer some questions:

Red Rox: We are staying at the Hyatt.

Regarding doing Jeep Tour earlier in trip: I guess we can but from what I gathered it seemed like Slide Rock park is very busy that time of year, even more so on week-ends so we thought we would do on our first day which is the Friday. If this is not really the case and it will be just as busy on a Friday as a Saturday (??) then we could look to switch.

Resto at Enchantment: When I called to ask about options they said we could make reservations at 2 of their restaurants. They suggested Tii Gavo given we are with our kids. I looked at menus on-line and tend to agree. What are your thoughts?

Other places we have on our list to look to eat dinners are: Elote, Dahl and Cucina.

SedonaNanny: We have considered this alternate driving route but it looks to add about 1.5 more hours to the drive. Given we are doing quite a bit of driving already during this trip right now we are thinking to skip however we will definitely keep this idea in mind.

Tet14: Thanks for reminder. Holy Cross was in my notes as something to stop and see when near Village of Oak Creek. This then may happen on a Sunday. Will we be able to park? We will add to list!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
537 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Feedback on Itinerary

SedonaNanny: I just took another look at Google maps for driving. It looks like if we only want to visit Jerome that it would be about another 18 miles or so (9 miles each way) from Cottonwood which is the route we were looking to take so as to stop at Red Rock Crossing on way into Sedona. Maybe we should just think of stopping in Jerome?

To experience the town I am assuming it is best to walk around?

If so at mid-day that time of year (and with kids) is it something you would still recommend we do?

Thanks for your help with this.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feedback on Itinerary

Jerome is easy to walk around. It is only about 2 blocks or so. How much time you spend is up to you.

If you time your visit so that you are there at lunch time or meal time, Go to the Haunted Hambuger. It is up a flight of steps from the main street and has a wonderful deck with an awesome view of the Verde Valley. Good burgers and desserts, too.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,442 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Feedback on Itinerary

Adding Jerome will likely add about 2 hours to your arrival time in Sedona.

I agree with your restaurant choices, assuming that the kids are fairly sophisticated eaters.

Slide Rock SP is always busy in the summer. Friday or Saturday won't matter. Go early or expect to wait in line for parking.

8. Re: Feedback on Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 03:18