We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain and darkness and driving

Glensdie
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Rain and darkness and driving

Hi all,

We rented a place for a few days to explore the area next week. My questions are about driving and weather. I’m from midAtlantic - bright nights but loads of foul weather.

Our rental is about 20min north & east of Williams. Is it safe to drive at night if we go to a restaurant or need to go to the store? I understand animals are large and come in herds. Should we prepare to be home by the witching hour of dark?

We chose this place because it is dark. We wanted our kids to see the night sky’s. So we can settle in for early nights.

Now the rain, it sounds like monsoon season is in the southwest. We are used to crazy rain. But how bad is it? Do storms last for hours? Do people lose power often? Do the clouds stay all night blocking the Stars?

How bad is driving in a storm this time of year?

Thanks

2 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,142 posts
249 reviews
1. Re: Rain and darkness and driving

Be aware when driving in darkness. Don’t overdrive your headlight field of vision. That’s when animals appear too quickly for you to react.

Monsoonal storms typically move quickly, but they are heavy, violent, and can cause flash flooding. Avoid driving in the rain. Wait it out. We’ve lost power at our home in Sedona twice in the last week. Once for 10 minutes. Once for over an hour.

Night skies will be visible or not.

Glensdie
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Rain and darkness and driving

Thank you so much! Appreciate that information - it makes sense. I’m kind of excited and scared to see elk. I’m a bird watcher and adore seeing animals in the wild but understand the dangers too.

Reply to: Rain and darkness and driving
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted