We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak from Williams or Flagstaff?

London England
Level Contributor
62 posts
11 reviews
Amtrak from Williams or Flagstaff?

Howdee...

We're staying at the GC Village for the weekend, then Monday morning plan to catch the Openroadtours shuttle to either Williams or Flagstaff...in order to catch the Monday evening Amtrak service to L.A.

My dilemma at the moment is whether to spend the day in Flagstaff or Williams... kind of leaning towards Williams at the moment.

What to do between say Noon and 9pm, on foot or local public transport, since we don't drive? Are there any left luggage facilities in Williams, so we don't have to drag our stuff everywhere?

And also, how far is Williams Junction? The Williams Amtrak railway station apparently is not the one served by Amtrak!?

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
7,292 posts
106 reviews
1. Re: Amtrak from Williams or Flagstaff?

Williams Junction is outside of town a bit. Amtrak offers a shuttle from the Williams depot Downtown to the Williams Junction station. You can book it through Amtrak's web site.

Flagstaff has a much larger Amtrak station anyway. But, also, Flagstaff has a much more interesting Downtown with many more things to do within just a few blocks of the train station. Not to bad-mouth Williams (I love Williams!), but you'd be much, much better off spending nine hours in Flagstaff. I believe that you can check your luggage in early at Flagstaff. They may also have storage lockers at the station though.

Another benefit is that Flagstaff actually has a bus system, which you can use to take to the Museum of Northern Arizona or the NAU campus.

Also, are you talking about this coming weekend? Keep in mind that it's cold right now and there's snow on the ground in both Williams and Flagstaff.

hth

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: Amtrak from Williams or Flagstaff?

From my understanding of the Amtrak service in WIlliams is that it uses the depot that the GC Rail Road uses which is in the cener of town. So no car is needed.

With Flagstaff amtrak station is in the center of downtown so same situation just bigger town. More to do that kind of stuff so its all a matter of taste. I believe at both locations you can leave your luggage at the depot while you wait.

I think you might run out of things to do in Williams. Though we have a nice small town. You can check out the discover map of Flagstaff on my go list. I don't have one for Williams.

www.williamschamber.com

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i3541-Northern_…

London England
Level Contributor
62 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Amtrak from Williams or Flagstaff?

Oh sorry, it's not this weekend, we're there in April...

But I wonder if I can do both towns? Are there any buses between the two during the afternoon? Taxi?

Open road tours only do 2 shuttles daily, and the second one isn't until 7pm from Williams which wouldn't leave us much time in Flagstaff...

Several people here seem to really like their little town which is why I'd like to see Williams, even if only for a few hours...

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
7,292 posts
106 reviews
4. Re: Amtrak from Williams or Flagstaff?

Looks like there's a bus that goes from Williams to Flagstaff around noon every day. The next is at 7pm, and the eastbound train doesn't come until 4am.

I don't really know what you expect to see and do in Williams. There are a few restaurants and shops but, without a car, you're very, very limited.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
5. Re: Amtrak from Williams or Flagstaff?

I happen to agree with previous poster. Without a car theres little to do. Even in my small town. I'd honestly rethink Flagstaff just on the fact you have no car and will be on foot.

London England
Level Contributor
62 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: Amtrak from Williams or Flagstaff?

Yeah, I guess you're both probably right.. I'm always trying to see as much as I can which is why I'd like to have included a quick stop in Williams, but maybe not this time...

Thanks a lot for your replies guys!

7. Re: Amtrak from Williams or Flagstaff?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 01:19