We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help: Sedona/GC/Williams

Virginia
Level Contributor
24 posts
94 reviews
Itinerary help: Sedona/GC/Williams

I am trying to plan an itinerary for my Arizona trip. The top things on my list are to see Sedona and the Grand Canyon (anything art related/scenic!). I will be staying in Scottsdale for 7 days. I need advice on the best way to use my time. (Particularly Tuesday, after visiting GC) I will be traveling solo with a rental car. Here is what I was thinking:

Saturday: arrive in Phoenix, get rental, drive to Scottsdale, check in

Sunday: relax in Scottsdale

Monday: drive to Williams (2hours 30 minutes?)

check in, stay one night there

Tuesday: continue to Grand Canyon (45 minutes?), if I don't stay at Canyon where can I stay on way back to Scottsdale? (Flagstaff or Sedona, how far from GC?)

Wednesday: back in Scottsdale

Thursday:if I haven't visited Sedona then I can do a day trip there

Friday: Scottsdale museums/spa day

Saturday: leave to Phoenix

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,658 posts
249 reviews
1. Re: Itinerary help: Sedona/GC/Williams

If you want to go to the Grand Canyon, there is no need to stop for the night in Williams. Drive from Scottsdale to the GCNP and stay there. Hopefully you can get a room there inside the park. If not inside the park, then at least stay in Tusayan just outside the park gate. Get to work on that reservation now. If nothing available in the park, book Tusayan, but keep trying back at the park. Cancellations happen every day.

By doing it this way, you will be able to enjoy a sunset and a sunrise at the GC. Then come back down half way and spend the next night at Sedona.

You will save about 5-6 hours of driving time, in the long run, by doing it this way.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,242 posts
58 reviews
2. Re: Itinerary help: Sedona/GC/Williams

I would spend at least 3 nights in the GC/Sedona areas. If that is what you are coming to see, then spend a bit more time there. Here's an idea:

Saturday: Arrive in Phoenix. Stay Scottsdale

Sunday: Scottsdale day.

Monday: drive to Grand Canyon. As mentioned before, try to get lodging inside the park. See the sunset

Tuesday: GC again, then drive to Sedona for the night.

Wednesday: Visit Sedona for the day. Stay in Sedona again.

Thursday: Return to Scottsdale

Friday: Scottsdale museums/spa day

Saturday: leave

Virginia
Level Contributor
24 posts
94 reviews
3. Re: Itinerary help: Sedona/GC/Williams

CasaAzul thanks for the itinarary idea, sounds perfect. Think I would definately want time in Sedona. I believe it's expensive to stay there, what options would I have surrounding Sedona for places to stay?

RedRox, like the idea of traveling on and staying inside GCNP. Maybe I could stop off in Williams for a bite to eat, to break up the trip some. I'm a whimp when it comes to long drives! From Scottsdale to GC I believe it's 4 hours? Yeah, I'd probably go alittle nuts. But to use my time wisely it'd be best to go on to the GC.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,658 posts
249 reviews
4. Re: Itinerary help: Sedona/GC/Williams

If you insist on stopping along the way, take the short detour through Sedona and stop there. You'll find lots of places to get a bite, plus you'll get a taste of why you want to come back and STAY in Sedona after GCNP. And you'll get to drive on by going up through Oak Creek Canyon, another incredibly scenic drive. Toatl detour will add about 20 minutes to your drive time to GC plus however long you stop for lunch.

5. Re: Itinerary help: Sedona/GC/Williams

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 18:17