We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slightly Confused: WMJ or WMA?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Slightly Confused: WMJ or WMA?

Hello,

I have a query I was hoping you could assist me with.

I'm travelling on the Southwest Chief in November, firstly from Chicago to Williams (on to Grand Canyon National Park) then from Williams to LA. The reason for stopping at Williams and not Flagstaff is that I was planning on taking the GC Railway but had a change of plan due to problems with making a reservation for the train (got charged twice on my credit card despite having not received a confirmation number; 2 weeks to receive a refund).

I'm staying in Williams for 1 night at the Rodeway Inn & Suites before taking Open Road Tours shuttle to GC National Park. The Southwest Chief gets in to Williams quite late and I am concerned about getting to the motel from the station as I am reading conflicting information as to where the Southwest Chief actually stops in Williams. Amtrak's own website is a bit confusing on this topic as well.

Does the Southwest Chief Amtrak actually stop in downtown (at North Grand Canyon Boulevard) or is on the outskirts of Williams?

If it stops on the outskirts of town, is the shuttle service provided by Amtrak or the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel? Again I have read about a shuttle provided by the hotel but I am not staying there as it appears impossible to book unless you book as part of a train package.

Any advice you could provide to me would be appreciated. I have contacted Amtrak but still await a response.

Many thanks,

Elaine

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Williams
Williams
Arizona
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Grand Canyon Railway Hotel
Grand Canyon Railway...
2,418 Reviews
Williams, AZ
Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
48 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Slightly Confused: WMJ or WMA?

The Southwest Chief Amtrak actually stops at williams junction, a few miles from the grand canyon railway terminal and hotel. The shuttle provided by the grand canyon railway from williams junction to Southwest Chief Amtrak will drop you off at your motel if you request the driver to do so. Give him a tip and it will be much welcomed, they do not make much. Your motel is on the way from williams junction to the grand canyon railway hotel. No need to book the shuttle normally. Call 928-635-4625 (gcrr hotel) and tell them what you need to do.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Slightly Confused: WMJ or WMA?

Hi Bob, thanks for your response. I just wanted to be sure that there would be a shuttle bus meeting the Southwest Chief train when you arrive late in the evening in Williams. Sounds like they are OK if you use the shuttle, even uf you are not actually staying at the GC Railway Hotel.

Thanks again,

Elaine

Mentioned in this post
Williams
Williams
Arizona
3. Re: Slightly Confused: WMJ or WMA?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 18:18